Karradal to Vastra Hagen - Rorviks - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2023

Karradal to Vastra Hagen - Rorviks

Waking to a cold grey morning, we headed up to the fancy kitchen to make coffee and breakfast in a warm place.  The threat of rain prevented much dallying so, when the first drops fell at 9:30, we were fed, packed, had rolled up the dry tent and were just loading the bikes.  It turned out to be no more than a light drizzle which added to the atmosphere of riding through the rolling farmland, the wheat green in the fields emphasizing the red barns.  This is rocky country, like the Canadian shield in Muskoka or Haliburton, so the farms are tucked into small pockets of good soil and suitable for raising cows, horses and vegetables.  

Within an hour the rain had stopped and we crossed the train tracks back to flatter country, then back again to another rocky outcrop.  Although it was often visible in the distance, one of the only times we were right beside the water was when the path came out to a section where the sand flats, rounded rocks and little cottages right by the path all immediately reminded us of the Acadian Route near Shippigan, New Brunswick.  Nice to feel like we are home.

The route seemed busier today with cycle tourers, or maybe there were fewer riders due to the weather. We probably saw 30 pairs or singletons of heavily laden, long distance travellers, most with matching Ortlieb panniers.  A few groups of older riders with matching bikes and one small pannier each were spotted consulting their paper maps at intersections. We chatted, but only for a minute, with two young men with very light bike packs who were in a hurry to get in their 100-150km per day on their way to Berlin. Cycle tourers come in all types!

Quite a lot of the riding was on bike paths beside the road, so we made good time, covering he 65km to Vastra by 5pm.  The Rorviks campground here has a homey feel as most of the caravans are seasonal and the hostess welcomed us warmly; there is a field for overnight tents like us and the bathrooms are spotless.  She said the sea is only a 10 minute walk and lovely for swimming, but at 19C and cloudy, we opted for hot showers instead.

Starting out beside the train tracks in a misty rain. Wet but not enough to dig out the full goretex pants and coat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My grandmother used to say that if the cows were lying down it was a sure sign of rain. These girls are 100% sure of rain, but they were wrong, we had no more precipitation that day.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Kirsten KaarsooFunny I remember hearing that as a child too. I thought about it while cycling on our past trip and come to the conclusion that it was not true!😉
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyMy Mom said it too! I think it could be true by the rain this morning, unfortunately 😏.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Stone silo, we have not seen one of these before.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonI wonder if it might have been a windmill.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
This could be the Veloroute Acadien
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
I love It when the bike path uses these historical bridges.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 2,842 km (1,765 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0