Falkenberg to Karradals - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2023

Falkenberg to Karradals

Go fast or slow down?  We ground out a few long days into a headwind before our two-night break when the rains came.  This morning the sun is back and yesterday we had time to sketch out the next ten days and see how we can slow down and still make key bookings we have set up for in Norway.  So we will do three 50km days instead of two big days that will bring us to Gothenburg for the weekend. Perfect.

So, with only a short day planned we looked for a beach and decided on the Espevik Campsite just past the town of Kaaradals.   What a great choice; it is a perfect beach with soft sand, calm, clear water and only a minute from our tent.

We are enamoured with the Kattegattleden cycle route. This is day four on it.  Here are some of the reasons why:

The route runs seamlessly in and out of towns, there are never any curbs that you have to stop and lift your bike up or down from, and cars stop for bicycles at all the round abouts and crosswalks.  It’s smooth pavement all the way.  We can see that they are continuously upgrading it, as there are huge swaths of new black tarmac with bright white lines.  Other than a traffic light from time to time, you just sail along.  It’s flat, easy riding and you are hardly ever on roads with cars.  In fact I haven’t put my rear light on as there is no need.  The cycle path is wider than usual, I think ten feet, so most of the time we ride side by side.  Lastly, every turn is signed so you could easily ride it without GPS or a map.  It is a delightful ride, add in the scenery unfolding as you pedal along and this route is fantastic. 

Okay three caveats: you have to do it in hot sunny weather so you can see how the Swedes enjoy outdoor life.  And we think it might be better north to south so you can go with the wind and you may not even have to pedal!   Lastly, we might even suggest you start here in mid to late August and head south following the warm weather. 

Experience Kattegattleden – a 390-km-long cycle path along the coast from Helsingborg in Skåne, through Halland, to Gothenburg. World-class cycling, beautiful views and the scent of the sea and beach – perhaps it’s no surprise that Kattegattleden was named the “Cycle Route of the Year in Europe” in 2018!

So here are some pictures from today’s ride….

Perhaps the cutest tourist information ever?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Newly paved and painted
Heart 0 Comment 0
This spot needed to veer in to make room for the barn
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pedestrians and cyclists are not forgotten and always provided safe routes around construction zones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sea of daisies
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another bench, another picnic lunch, yummm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Creative seating that somehow balances rough industrial and sleek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The path was right along the coast coming into Varberg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In 1618, after 30 years of tiring work, Varberg fortress was completed. It became Europe’s most modern defense facility and so powerful that no one dared to attack.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of seniors enjoying the paved trail too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plenty of rest stops with facilities on this section.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bank swallows
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Relaxing after another exhausting day on the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Does this look like our most expensive campground ever? Not shown is the kitchen with a dishwasher and commercial ice maker!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooThe ice maker sounds like a great idea for hot days. We found the last few days cycling in Spain ice wound have been a really nice addition to our water bottles. Luke warm or hot water does not seem to quench one’s thirst.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,777 km (1,725 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0