Vastra Hagen - Rorviks To Stromstad - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2023

Vastra Hagen - Rorviks To Stromstad

All the pre planning last winter about train travel still doesn’t preclude things going “off the rails” on the ground. We have just found out that, because of repairs to the tracks, this week there are no intercity trains between Gothenburg and Oslo only buses and they don’t accept bicycles. 

Therefore our weekend in Gothenburg just went out the window.  Instead we were up early and on the road by 9 am for the 40km ride to the Gothenburg train station.  Last night Steven had come up with an alternative plan, instead of taking the non-functioning inter-city train to Oslo, we are hoping to see how close we can get on a region train.  We may have to cycle more than we had planned, so unfortunately we don’t have time to visit beautiful Gothenburg. 

The trails, continue to impress us.  Even when we cut away from the more scenic Kattegattleden this morning in our rush to get to Gothenburg, we were still on perfect trails beside the roads.  Then 10km coming into the city we were back on the Kattegattleden, on a converted rail trail that runs right beside the coastal waters. Stunning!  Inlets with fishing wharfs, marinas, swimming piers and perched on the rocky shoreline, opulent heritage cottages and futuristic new homes which unfortunately we didn’t take pictures of.

Gothenburg was humming at noon on a Friday. In two parks we cycled by there were busker bands playing. I snapped a few pictures but sadly that’s all of the city we will see this time. 

At the train station, the ticket agent confirmed that Steve’s idea to take a regional train to Stromstad proved to be our best choice.  We picked up lunch and made it on the 1:10 pm for a relaxed two hour ride to Stromstad. 

In the train station an elderly gentleman on seeing our bicycles inquired about our trip. When leaving he wished us well by saying the Swedish word “lagom” which is a Swedish wish for a good trip and means he said,  “not too much, not too little”.  He explained that it comes from the Vikings, that when they sat around a fire they’d share a horn of beer and the idea was to have a drink, not too much, not too little and then pass it on so there is enough for everyone.   “Lagom!”

Heart 4 Comment 0
Trail building
Heart 1 Comment 0
Busy improving the trails
Heart 1 Comment 0
The things you see along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
“The characters that inhibit this garden, come from other worlds, a reality in which Malambo Isla, its creator, lives without laws or limitations. He is always travelling through distance worlds in constant search of creatures that inspire him.”
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cottage country
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The colors of the Acadian flag and similar fishing shanties of the Acadian Peninsula in Northern New Brunswick.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
High School track and field competition coming into Gothenburg. It could be regionals or nationals because it was very official looking, with electronic boards and announcers calling the events.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gothenburg
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gothenburg
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gothenburg
Heart 2 Comment 0
Clear signage for cycling in Gothenburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gothenburg Theatre
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it to the end of the Swedish train system.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The ferry to nearby islands was about to depart from in front of the tourist office.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 2,892 km (1,796 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0