Cuidad de Mexico - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2021

Cuidad de Mexico

We didn't sleep well at all last night.  It was after eleven by the time we got to bed which was six in the morning back in South Africa, so our body clock's were all out of kilter.  We ended up waking up at about three in the morning and tossed and turned until about seven thirty.  We both felt dreadful and decided the only way to get back on our feet was to pig out at the eye-wateringly expensive buffet breakfast in the hotel.  We tried our best but still couldn't get our full M$400 worth.  Maybe after a few weeks of cycling our appetites will have regained the ability to make the most of eat as much as you like (can) meal options.

The breakfast did the trick and by ten o'clock we were on the Metro into the city to visit the cathedral and to have a general look around.  In contrast to the breakfast, the ticket prices were ridiculously cheap - M$5 either way.  One of the great attractions of visiting a new country is the uncertainty of it all and working out how things and people work.  A Metro trip involving a number of line changes is one way to dive into the deep end.  The thing that jumped out today was how quick the locals were to come to our assistance when we hesitated for more than a few seconds while negociating the Metro.

The cathedral was built between 1575 and 1625 and is an impressive structure for the colonials to have built so soon after invading the Americas.

One of the attractive old buildings surrounding the cathedral. The succulent garden in front of it caught my eye.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The impressive organ and choristry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Side chapel
Heart 2 Comment 0
Side chapel
Heart 2 Comment 0
The main alter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The CDMX Metro.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Informal vendors in the hallways of the Metro.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once back at the hotel it was time to unbox the bicycles and re-assemble them.  While doing this the weather quickly focused our minds on what we can expect almost every day over the next few weeks with a thunder storm quickly developing and the heavens opening.  We are certainly going to get very wet at some point while on the bicycles in the near future.

Bicycles are ready. Not sure that we are.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Kelly IniguezWhat brand is the red bike? That's an interesting frame design.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Kelly IniguezIt is the Step-Through version of the Thorn Raven (I've got the standard Raven). Thorn have now discontinued the Raven range but I think they still make a Step-Through version of their premium world touring bike, the Nomad. Despite its rather quaint appearance, its a serious touring bike - Reynolds Steel frame, Rohloff hub and all the necessary fittings for carrying a load of thirty five kilograms (I think that is the figure in the specs).
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonYou two are ready enough, I’m sure. I’m always inspired by and a bit envious of your courage and hardiness. I’m really looking forward to seeing what you’ll discover for us.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Scott AndersonHi Scott

Thanks for the confident words. Only time will tell how ready we are. Right now we are both feeling the effects of being back on the bicycles and I am sure the altitude is playing its part too.

Jean-Marc
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Then we strolled off through the neighbourhood north of the airport.  It gave us an opportunity to gauge what we can expect to be able to eat and buy once we are away from the touristy areas.  An early supper at a local street side eatery made us realise that spending more than M$50 on a meal will end up with us not being able to finish it.

Tomorrow we head north-eastwards towards Teotihuacan to spend some time at the Pyramids of the Sun and the Moon.  It will be the first time in two months that we will be back on loaded bicycles.  We're pretty unfit and we will have fifty kilometers to cover but the route seems quite flat so hopefully we won't take too much strain.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0