Cancun - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 27, 2021 to December 2, 2021

Cancun

Merida looks like an attractive city, at least the historic center does.  It deserves more time from us.

We did quick detour past the Plaza de Independencia with its impressive church (locked) before heading for the ADO bus terminal.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The bus ride to Cancun was as boring as any other bus ride.  We arrived in Cancun at about four thirty and set out to find the digs I had booked that morning.  My cellphone somehow led us first to a pretty dodgy area before sorting itself out and directing us to a nice place in a nice location.  We will be here until Tuesday at least while we try and find out what our options are.

Tacos for supper at a joint a few hundred meters from our digs. I think I am ready to go meat free for a day or two.
Heart 4 Comment 0

November 2nd, 2021

On Monday our travel agent back in South Africa came back with the news that she had arranged flights back to South Africa ... on Friday !  So we have spent the last few days organizing boxes and packing the bicycles.  Four days are a few too many for packing so we have spent the time getting some work done as well as taking a ride to look at the Caribbean.   I can't pretend that I like Cancun.  It is a soulless city and the hotel strip is represents so much of what I don't like.  The coastline has been destroyed and the little strips of white sand are covered by tourists behaving in ways that are at odds with the conservative attitudes that seem to prevail here.

Leigh had to dip her toes into the Caribbean.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We've also had quite a bit of rain, something that made carrying bicycle boxes a few kilometers back to our digs somewhat tricky.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We leave for the airport at just after midday on Friday.  We have got the results of our PCR tests (needed for re-entry into South Africa) and the minibus to take us to the airport has been booked.  If the borders remain open we should be back in Port Elizabeth on Sunday night.

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 2,729 km (1,695 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe are sure you have been very busy trying to sort out testing, rearranging flights and so on, but if you have time and energy do give an update so we know how things are going. Take care.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomHi Steve. I have been holding back on updating the journal until we either make it back to SA or realise we are stuck here. We are booked to fly out on Friday. Holding thumbs that our PCR tests come back negative and that Lufthansa doesn't cancel the lights. Stay safe.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago