even a couple of idiots like us figured that one out - 1982: Stories of the Young and Dumb, aka My First Bike Trip - CycleBlaze

even a couple of idiots like us figured that one out

We finally left Dodge City, pedaling into the wind.  Again.  We rode together through Ford, then Mullinsville, and finally Greensburg. Along the way, William told me about the books he’s been reading by Edgar Cayce. I was a bit skeptical. 

Upon our arrival at the City Park in Greensburg, we temporarily split up. I tried to find out if we’re allowed to camp there, and whether it’s safe. It had worked out well the last time I tried it, so I stopped at a church to ask some of the people there. However, by the time I got back to the Park, William was fairly agitated. 

He had met a woman named Gretta who invited us to stay at her house. It was ten miles away, and east of our current location, which is the direction we’re heading. He had been waiting for me to return for over an hour, getting more anxious with each passing minute because it meant if we wanted to sleep there we'd now have to ride in the dark.

We gave it some consideration and decided the risk of being killed on the side of the road by an 18-wheeler was worth the benefit of sleeping in a real bed.  

The ride to her house was nerve-racking and we almost got run over THREE times as someone in the opposite lane pulled into our lane to pass. Each time the vehicle pulled out abruptly, and we were forced off the road to avoid being hit by an oncoming mass of metal.

After the three near-death experiences over a distance of about five miles, a police car pulled over in front of us and told us that “it’s really dangerous to be riding on this road after dark,” something that even a couple of idiots like us had figured out within the first five minutes. He put both of our bikes in his trunk and our panniers in the back seat, then deposited us at Gretta’s in Haviland. It was already late when we got there, but we did talk for a while before going to bed.

Kansas wheat field
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0