Day Seven: Mount Pleasant to Burlington - The Rolling Mardi Gras - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2009

Day Seven: Mount Pleasant to Burlington

When we woke up at 5:00 (yes, AM) most of the people were already gone. As it turned out, the storm missed us. There wasn't even very much rain.

Today is a short day and, as with every trip I take, I'm ready for it to be over, but not quite yet.

We ate breakfast at the first town we stopped in, New London, at a mobile place we'd seen every morning. The place was called Bite Me, where we had some French Toast. Occasionally someone would ride by and yell "BITE ME!" This is Heather and Samantha eating their breakfast.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We pedaled at a leisurely pace and stopped in Lowell for some corn on the cob. It was picked that morning, cooked immediately prior to our arrival, after which they peeled it, dipped it into a tub of melted butter, then handed it to us. My mouth is watering right now. If you've never had really fresh sweet corn, it's worth a trip to Iowa just for that.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Here are some pictures along the way:

Heart 1 Comment 0
Minnesota Vikings fans, apparently
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is an old joke, recently revived because of the TV show The Office... the shirt says, "Ask us about free updog." The most common comment is, "What's updog?" and the inevitable response is, "Not much. What's up with you?" What made the shirts even funnier is that this is the seventh day Team Updog has been wearing them, so when someone asked, "What's Updog?" the rider let out a slow sigh and said, "Not much," sighed again, then added in a tired voice, "What's up with you?" I don't know about you, but I think if you don't want people to ask you, then DON'T WEAR THE SHIRTS.

In Middletown we stopped for some watermelon.

Heart 1 Comment 0

A few miles later we stopped at Beekman's Ice Cream. They have the homemade ice cream that was so delicious

At the end of the trip, the VERY end of 450 miles of pedaling, there's a short section of road called Snake Alley in Burlington. There was an alternate route so you didn't HAVE to, but we decided to give the 21% grade a try. We made it without having to walk up, but it wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Samantha at the top
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Distance 45.63
Average speed 13.0
Maximum speed 42.5
Time 3:30.34
Cumulative 458.43
Climbed feet 1145

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 460 miles (740 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0