Yangon Gallery of Photos - Unmettled Roads - CycleBlaze

Yangon Gallery of Photos

Rangoon 1927

I came late to Rangoon.
Everything was already there--
A city 
of blood,
dreams and gold,
a river that flowed
from the savage jungle
into the stifling city
and its leprous streets,
and a white hotel for whites,
and a golden pagoda for the golden people.
That's what
went on
and didn't go on.
Rangoon, steps stained
by the spitters
of betel juice.

Pablo Neruda

Our excellent breakfast every morning on the top floor of the Botahtaung Hotel, Yangon.
Heart 9 Comment 1
Mike PalmquistI had no idea, or forgot long ago, that Pablo Neruda was Chile "honorary consul" in Yangon 1927 to 1928. According to his writing, Neruda spent most of his time in Yangon living on what was then Dalhousie Street (today, Mahabandoola Road). (https://www.irrawaddy.com/culture/nerudas-burmese-days.html)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
This was not the entrance to our hotel.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The thing that sets the Burmese apart from other S.E. Asian countries is that they are a reading culture. You don't see people in surrounding countries devouring newspapers every morning the way the Burmese do.
Heart 8 Comment 0
There are hundreds of great old buildings in Yangon that should be saved and refurbished. Whether the will or the money is there is a huge question.
Heart 10 Comment 0
Pagodas everywhere.
Heart 4 Comment 1
rich reeseeverywhere you look
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
An ice delivery. This is why we can't eat ice in Myanmar.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Egg delivery. Fortunately eggs are not affected by high temperatures and we can eat as many eggs as we want.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Frank RoettgenThat´s an interesting point, Bruce. Not knowing anything about it I was always concerned the storage in the sun might increase the risk of any potential health issues like salmonellas....
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
A typical Burmese tea house. The tea is always tasty but we can't risk eating any of the goodies they always tempt us with. These bao certainly have some kind of meat inside that has been at room temperature (100 degrees) all day long.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Mmmm, fish skin. Original flavor no less!!
Heart 5 Comment 6
Jacquie GaudetLabelled only in English! For tourists?

I'm curious what's in the other packages, made with an "American recipe".
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnPlease tell me this does not qualify as Chid.

And Jacquie has a good eye .. would love to know more about that American Recipe!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekI'll only eat fish skins if it's richly cooked in golden goodness.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Ron Suchanek'Golden' is the key word in Myanmar. Put 'Golden' on anything you want to sell and, well, you are gold.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Jen RahnDefinitely qualifies as chid. Burmese chid. We didn't buy any but I'd bet they are pretty good. We once had some Pringles equivalent called 'Jacker' that was "Spicy Lobster" flavor. That was great chid.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Jacquie GaudetThere are more and more things labeled in English probably for the international marketplace. The Burmese are also learning English so maybe things like this help them to learn. As for the "American Recipe", I'm sorry but I don't remember what that was. Usually these things are piled high with dozens of other packages and it's a visual feast. That's my American Recipe - A visual feast. It's hard to take it all in.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Old British buildings are everywhere in Yangon.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Down the street from our Botahtaung Hotel is the Botahtaung Pagoda right on the Yangon River.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Cranes are everywhere in Yangon. Yangon is on the move! Some will have a great view of the Shwedagon Pagoda. Others will have their view blocked.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The most exciting development in Yangon for me is that the amazing Secretariat Building is being restored!! Every other time I've been in Yangon I've seen it going downhill further and further to the point where nothing of value was left on it or in it. All the doors and windows were gone and squatters were living like the dark ages inside. The grounds were overgrown and I nearly cried every time I saw the sad scene. It is a huge building and the grounds encompass a full three square blocks. It is a masterpiece of nineteenth century British architecture so when we saw it this time my heart was uplifted. Some things are worth saving no matter the cost. I'm sure this is costing tens of millions of dollars. It's going to be magnificent.
Heart 12 Comment 0
The newly restored Secretariat Building. The most impressive old British building in Yangon will live on!!
Heart 9 Comment 0
The night market.
Heart 8 Comment 4
Scott AndersonLooks like a bouquet!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnTo Scott AndersonThat is not a word that I could ever associate with wrinkly yellow skin and gnarled toenails.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott Anderson...and Valentine's Day is only 2 short months away.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanThere are lots of beautiful bouquets in Myanmar.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonThe photos are wonderful, but so is the Neruda.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnThe Neruda poem is a powerful image to accompany your photo gallery!

I wonder what Neruda would write if he were alive and could see Yangon today? If he thought the city felt stifling in 1927, I can only imagine how he would feel about the arrival of the automobile.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekDon't say that last line of the Neruda poem two more times.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago