Hinthada Gallery of Photos - Unmettled Roads - CycleBlaze

Hinthada Gallery of Photos

One of the excellent musicians at the Nat Pwe we stumbled upon.
Heart 10 Comment 0
The two elder Nat Kadaw observe an apprentice dance before them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The two elder Nat Kadaw leading the entire 12-hour-long Nat Pwe.
Heart 7 Comment 0
One of the many children observing the Nat Pwe.
Heart 7 Comment 0
An audience member looks back down the alley as a Buddhist monk does his morning alms collecting. The two worlds - Buddhism and the more animistic Nat worship of spirits - are at odds sometimes. The monk got alms from a neighbor and beat it on out of there very quickly. It was all so very interesting. Different worlds rubbing up against each other but mostly tolerating each other.
Heart 7 Comment 0
I love this house. It looks like a great fixer-upper.
Heart 10 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekLooks like a great project to take on once your garage is completed.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
All these plastic chairs being set out means something big is about to happen and we really didn't know what. In fact, whenever we're in Myanmar at any given moment we feel we understand about maybe 5% of what is going on and 0% of what's about to happen.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Something is definitely going to happen at this temple.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekYeah, but what?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
When we look inside it all makes sense. Tazaungdaing Festival is the festival of light and thousands of little clay oil lamps have been placed throughout the temple grounds. This important full moon is celebrated with lights all over Asia in various ways. It's also basically the harvest moon and a time to celebrate another year of successfully growing food.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Buddha images are often covered up so they can stay warm in the "cold" winter. I think they just like to dress them up occasionally.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Everyone is invited to participate in lighting all the oil lamps and that created a very communal feeling. Everyone was happy and welcomed us.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
It was a very peaceful and beautiful ceremony. We are lucky we stumbled on it - stumbled on both a Nat Pwe and the lighting of little lamps on the same day!
Heart 4 Comment 0
As it got dark everyone stepped back to observe how beautiful the little lights were and the lit golden pagoda in the middle of it all.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 0