To Petra and back: finally a cloudy day! - Mallorca in April - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2013

To Petra and back: finally a cloudy day!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Climbed 413 metres, 1354 feet

Weather: cloudy with short rainshower in the morning, high 15 C

The strong wind yesterday must have brought in a new weather system, because we woke to cloudy skies and cooler temperatures. We were actually pleased to have a break from the intense sunshine, although our plan for today had been to ride to the Lluc monastery high in the Tramuntana mountains, and we wanted to be able to see the views. We decided to cycle in that direction, and detour to the town of Petra if the clouds over the mountains looked too dark and dense for good visibility.

Riding out onto the agricultural plain near Sa Pobla, we could see rain clouds hanging low over the mountains, and the cool temperatures convinced us that today would not be good for climbing up into the Serra de Tramuntana and to Lluc. To get to Petra, we cut south and east a bit and circled around Muro before making our way to Santa Margalida under light rain showers. Between Santa Margalida and Petra, we had planned to travel on minor lanes, but one of those turned out to be impassable, so we went on the main road until the turnoff to Ariany. We went up into Ariany and took a minor road from there due south to Petra, arriving just in time for lunch.

Looking back at Santa Margalida under a break in the clouds
Heart 0 Comment 0

Petra is a favourite destination for cyclists, and all the eating places in the main square were packed with lycra-clad bodies, both indoors and out. It was a bit overwhelming, and we left the square to cycle back through town looking for a less crowded stopping place. We found a small courtyard in front of a church with a menu board and a few outdoor tables that had been overlooked by the peletons; we parked our bikes and sat down. The air felt chilly and a few raindrops fell, so we were grateful when the waiter ushered us inside to a nice warm table near the bar. We ordered the satisfying menu del dia which included dessert and coffee. Eva had pork and Al had chicken along with salad, delicious roast potatoes and dessert—almond cake for Al and chocolate cake for Eva.

Church tower in Petra
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small square outside our lunch stop just before it began to shower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bikes resting comfortably in a sheltered spot
Heart 0 Comment 0

While we were eating, an American couple came over from a nearby table and asked us about our Bike Fridays. They were from Vermont and were also Bike Friday owners. They were scouting out the area for an organized group bicycle trip, and these were the only North Americans we met while on Mallorca.

After our restorative break, we cycled back to Petra's main square to photograph the multitudes of cyclists, but most of them had left by now and the square was much emptier. It must have been the height of the lunch rush when we had ridden by earlier. As we returned to the coast by a totally different route, the sun even peeked out occasionally. From Petra we rode by the tiny village of Maria de la Salut, through a lovely picturesque valley west of Santa Margalida. Once again we skirted Muro and then reached the coast at Ca'n Picafort and on to our hotel by the familiar busy road. Petra was our furthest south destination as a day ride from Port d'Alcudia, more than halfway down the length of the island.

Entering Maria de la Salut under threatening skies
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the pastoral valley to the west of Santa Margalida
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back in Port d'Alcudia there were plenty of cyclists as usual
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at our digs, we cleaned up, read and rested for awhile, and then went downstairs for a good dinner which tonight included chicken à l'orange with crepes suzettes for dessert.

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 696 km (432 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0