Introduction: tour overview - Mallorca in April - CycleBlaze

April 1, 2013

Introduction: tour overview

Heart 0 Comment 0

Mallorca in the spring on our Bike Fridays—sunshine, quiet roads, great scenery. That's what we hoped for while planning the trip in the wintry January landscape of snow and cloudy skies around our home in the mountains of British Columbia. Mallorca is a smallish island (about 75 km east to west) with varied terrain—dramatic seacoast, moderately high mountains, and pastoral farming country--well suited to travel by bicycle.

As usual, we booked our accommodation in advance and were pleased to find that April is low season in Mallorca, so most hotel prices were very reasonable, and breakfast was always included. Every place we stayed had secure bicycle storage available. Al mapped out our routes using GoogleEarth.

Our tour started and ended in Palma de Mallorca, where we stayed a few days to get over jet lag and leave our Bike Friday suitcases while we cycled across the island. From Palma we traveled a varied route eastwards to Porto Cristo, then along the coast to Cala Ratjada, before heading west and north to Port d'Alcudia, where we stayed for almost two weeks enjoying lovely long day rides with no weight on the bikes. Near the end of the tour a very manageable 68 kilometre ride across the middle of the island took us from Port d'Alcudia back to Palma.

Looking across the harbour in Palma de Mallorca toward the cathedral in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0