Flying and arriving: a long way to travel - Mallorca in April - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2013

Flying and arriving: a long way to travel

Getting to Mallorca from Vancouver required a grueling 18 hours of plane travel: overnight from Vancouver to Amsterdam with a few hours at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport, then a two-hour flight from Amsterdam to Barcelona, and finally about 45 minutes flying time from Barcelona to Palma. We were pleased that the plane from Barcelona came in low from the north over Mallorca and circled the island, so we had an aerial view of many of the places where we would be cycling. We arrived at the Palma airport at 7 pm and took a taxi to the lodgings just off the market square in the centre of the city that we had booked for three nights.

Trying to stay awake with caffe macchiatos at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our host, Bernat, met us at the door and helped carry our duffles and heavy Bike Friday suitcases up three flights of stairs to the small studio apartment. The apartment had everything we needed and was very well located. The only problem was that there was no outside view—the two windows looked out at a light well in the centre of the building. This certainly didn't bother us that first evening. We were exhausted and fast asleep by 9:00 pm.

Plaza Mercat at the entrance to the lane our apartment was on
Heart 0 Comment 0
The studio apartment was large enough to assemble the bicycles
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lane outside the entrance to the apartment
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0