Through the lanes near Alcudia: easy riding - Mallorca in April - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2013

Through the lanes near Alcudia: easy riding

Heart 0 Comment 0

Climbed 141 metres, 462 feet

Weather: sunny with a few clouds, wind in the afternoon, high 21 C

We are feeling very much at home at the Ivory Playa after a week here in our comfortable suite. The breakfasts and dinners are excellent, the suite is cleaned every day, and the views from the balcony are constantly changing. Our bicycles are conveniently stored, and the day rides so far have more than met our expectations.

Tea in the kitchen area of our suite
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bedroom
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had picked up a map and cycling brochure at the tourist office in Alcudia and today planned to take it easy and explore some of the small back roads that showed on the map. There was a bit of a delay at the bike centre when Al discovered that his front tire had gone flat overnight while hanging on its hook. It seemed that the rim tape had moved, exposing some of the spoke heads, and that's where the hole was. After trying twice to patch the tube, he gave up and replaced it with a new one. The bike centre was a good place to fix a flat, since there was a large efficient pump available for use, and it wasn't crowded because almost everyone had already picked up their bikes for the day.

Fixing a puncture
Heart 0 Comment 0
All the newly arrived bikes filled up one whole section of the storage room
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode down the main thoroughfare of the resort area and into the town of Port Alcudia. Then we found a small lane that led into the outskirts of Alcudia and wandered steeply uphill past houses and fields. We came eventually to a parking area for some of the hiking trails that went out onto Cap des Pinar, and since there were no further paved roads in that direction, we turned around and rode north across the peninsula to the shore of the Bay of Pollença near Bonaire. We passed some hotels and wandered around on the streets near the marina and eventually circled back into the old walled part of Alcudia.

Along one of the lanes near Alcudia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the Bay of Pollenca to the north, we could just see the watchtower on top of a hill that we were planning to cycle to in a few days
Heart 0 Comment 0

For lunch we ambled through the town centre reading restaurant menus until we found one that looked promising on a narrow lane off the crowded main street. We both had salads that were okay, but nothing special, and then headed back to the hotel.

Lunch in a quiet side lane in Alcudia
Heart 0 Comment 0

A strong wind came up in the afternoon, and we felt cozy sitting inside watching the palm trees blowing and the whitecaps on the water.

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 621 km (386 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0