Schadenfreude Strikes Back: Day 42 - Lake Michigamme to Munising Mi - And Then We Pedalled...... Cross Canada 2015 - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2015

Schadenfreude Strikes Back: Day 42 - Lake Michigamme to Munising Mi

So yesterday we were taking our guilty little pleasure on the back of the Detroit guys who were biking in the rain all day.

Our rain started during the night. Not real hard, but enough to tell us to smarten up and mind our own business.

Still raining when we set off but we decided that just our rain jackets were enough. Twenty km's latter as we pull into Ishpeming we spot a McD's. We pull in. Martin and Claude are there too. They've just taken over a corner and turned it into a semi laundry. The three of us pull in and complete the scene.

It's actually pretty cold out, 10 c at most with drizzle and wind. A few cups of coffee, dry socks, FULL rain gear, we hit the road again for Marquette. As we were sitting in McD's we kept seeing the weather channel reports for Marquette saying 0% chance of rain and clear skies ..... something to look forward to.

After a few km's we came across a sign for the Michigan Iron Museum. It was about a kilometre off the road and it turned out to be quite good. It's in the middle of a ~90'km system of trails and interpretive centres that show the history of the early mining industry in this region.

It was also a stroke of serendipity as there was a 'bike trail' that lead to Marquette from here. Turns out the first 20 km was gravel, not good on loaded touring bike, but the adjacent very quiet country road was an A+ ride into Marquette. Did I mention it was down hill for most of the way. And that the clouds disappeared. And that there were paved bike paths leading out of the city. And that the views of Lake Superior were fantastic.

Our penance must have been served. It was a great ride from here to Munising cruising along the shores of Lake Superior. The first 10 km east of Marquette were along lakeshore drive, a very quiet rural residential road. Beautiful this time of year but we were also imagining what it could be like in winter with the storms coming off superior.

We had an inkling of what it's like in the winter when we kept noticing 35 mph speed limit signs along the 'bike path'. This is really fast even for racing bikes, until we realized these were not 'bike paths'. We were merely borrowing them until winter comes and the snowmobiles assert their dominance over their kingdom.

Once lakeshore drive ended we were back on hwy 28, nice wide shoulders and not much traffic. Up ahead we saw some touring bikes and thought we were catching up to Claude and Martin again. We had a decent tailwind so we dialed it up on the prairie slayer and soon caught up. Turns out it was a different group, three folks from Grand Rapids on a tour of the Upper Penisula.

Five km later we do come across Claude and Martin. Their bikes are lying on the side of the road and we see them bent over in the ditch. Strawberries. Really good ones and lots off them. Another serendipity moment. When you answer natures call she sometimes rewards you!

We were comparing notes on the day, they were trying to get well past Munising so had a lot left to do. None of us had had a real lunch so we decided we'd stop at the first restaurant we came across.

Turned out the first restaurant was about another 10'km up the road, the Brownstone Inn, a beautifully refurbished stone cottage serving up some amazingly good food! Serendipity strikes again (I think I need 'word of the day' as well as 'song of the day').

Fully fed we said our farewells to Claude and Martin and continued the last few km's through Christmas (yes they make a play on the name) and then to the really nice municipal campground at Munising. It's right on the shore of Lake Superior, tucked in  bay that's sheltered by Grand Isle. Terrific spot.

The campground was full but they made a spot for us. Believe it or not, we were not Aliens on a new planet. The Grand Rapids bikers were there as well as a group of four guys from Illinois doing a tour of the UP.

Even the rv's were real people doing real things. Mary Jo and here husband were here from California doing some kayaking. There were families out hiking, biking and kayaking. Everyone in the campground was moving around talking and interacting.

And an angel decended upon us. Ok, I exaggerate, but Carrie and her husband Ben had overheard that we were biking across the country so she brought us a great meal of vegetable beef soup, just because. These are not the same RV people we have been seeing for the last 4300 km's! Munising is different, and we like it!

Amazing sunset, a cool verging on cold night making it very easy to snuggle into the down bag and get a good night sleep, all in all a day that ended well.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the day:

Thumbalina by the Pretenders

A rockabilly sounding number about taking a trip accross America. This struck a chord with me as we were riding along the lakeshore, pretty happy with our decision to include this piece of America in out tour.

Historical monument of the day:

Michigan Iron Museum .... A lot more than just the history of iron mining and smelting in the area

Met lots of great people today. Martin and Claude continued on down the road wanting to put in some bigger days, happy riding to PEI.

All for now, lights out.

On our way to Marquette. Only about 12 c and drizzle. Thought we were back in Aberdeen. Biking was ok although you could see the traffic, including semi's, starting to build on hwy 28
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pulled into the Michigan Iron Musuem about 30 km south of Marquette. Very interesting and also serendipitous. We ended up on a very quite country road into Marquette and the skies started to clear
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty cool metal work on these signs. Should have expected this at an Iron museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little history of the atea
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was something that came as a real surprise to me, there were European settlements in the Soo in the 1600's
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another interesting story of legal precedent being established recognizing First Nations culture and laws.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our quiet country road into Marquette. Very nice!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Marquette on nice residential streets rather than the big box highway scene!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cool little house in Marquette
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Jelly Beans by Lake Superior. We were in full wet / cold weather garb but this soon got pulled off as the sky cleared
Heart 1 Comment 0
Real paved bike trails in Marquette!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lakeshore drive east of Marquette. This paralleled hwy 28 for about 10 km. very quiet biking!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clear skies and beaches east of Marquette. Beautiful place
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hanging at the beach. Brisk wind and cool temps, with some briny sea smell we could be transported back to Aberdeen. Superior is huge! We've been biking along it for three days and we are just at the middle of it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking on the beach!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More beautiful Superior shoreline. This was approaching Munising bay and the Grane Isle
Heart 0 Comment 0
If you are in the area you owe it to yourself to eat here. We hadn't had a real lunch today and at about 4 pm we came to the Brownstone Inn about 20 km west of Munising. We had a superb meal here, chicken fajita soup was great and I had one of the best bread puddings I've had anywhere! Didn't need a big dinner when we got to the campsite
Heart 0 Comment 0
Deb, the owner of the Brownstone Inn, with Kirsten. You've got a great place here Deb!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The little town of Christmas Michigan. They're making the most of it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guess who?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Jo from California, another camper at Munising Campgound. She was really interested in our trip. Thanks for the encouragement!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carrie who very kindly gave us some great vegetable beef soup at the Munising campground. After our meal at the Brownstone that's all we needed for the night. Thanks for your kindness Carrie! We will try to pay it forward
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were camping right on the shores of Lake Superior by the Grand isle. This is a beautiful night !
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice beach at the Munising campground
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a sunset!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Magnificent Munising
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 118 km (73 miles)
Total: 4,300 km (2,670 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0