Just Hold on a Minute Pumpkin: Day - 40 Ashland WI to Bergland MI - And Then We Pedalled...... Cross Canada 2015 - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2015

Just Hold on a Minute Pumpkin: Day - 40 Ashland WI to Bergland MI

We went over the 4000 km mark today. That's a long way. To put the size of our country into perspective, we are not even at at the halfway point of our trip yet! 

Daunting!

We had another good day of biking. An early start with a great breakfast in Ashland, and then hwy 2 east. It was already about 25c and very humid when we left Ashland. I think we're going to have a lot of these days over the next two months.

Nice rolling hills and a mix of forest and farmland. It was getting pretty hot and sticky after 40 km when we saw the Frontier Bar and campground. We went into the AIR CONDITIONED bar and had a cold V8 and we topped up our water (with ice included).

We were in no hurry to leave and we were about the only customers there, so we ended up having a nice long chat with Taylor who was working there. Very friendly and helpful gal who gave us lots of information on the area and full run of the WIFI. Thanks Taylor

After Frontier we had a 25 km run to Ironwood which is just across the state line in Michigan. It just might be my mind playing with me, but each of Wisconsin and Michigan seemed to have a much different feel to them. Although the country side is pretty much the same, at least at Ironwood, Wisconsin seemed more rural and agriculturally focused (think cheese) whereas the towns in Michigan seemed more car focused (this is the home state of the U.S. Auto industry). Maybe it was the '65 Mustang we saw for sale as we entered Ironwood?

We kept playing hop-scotch with Claude and Martin as well, until they finally passed us for the last time as we were approaching Bergland.

We found out that one of the times we passed them, at the State line, was because they went to the Michigan State Tourist office where they were given detailed cycling guides and maps to northern Michigan. Another person on our bike had suggested maybe going there because we might be able to get some paper maps, but the other person on the bike decided that our electronic maps were all we needed. After having a look at the very nice and cycle-detailed maps that Claude got, I think the "other person" will be hearing a lot about their poor decision making for the next few days. The comeback though is that we will likely be travelling with Claude and Martin for the next few days, so they can carry the additional weight!

On the way into Bergland we passed through Michigan's ski region. Lots of signs for downhill skiing and a few sports shops selling ski and board equipment. I think they get a lot of snow around here and it is reasonably hilly. They won't be giving the Rockies a run for their money, but it's always good to see other ski areas.

The time changed when we got into Michigan, so it was fairly late by the time we got camp set up and showered. All five of us (Kirsten, Bill, Claude, Martin and me) set off to the only Restaurant open at the time. Actually, the only restaurant in Bergalnd. Antonio's ..... "Welcome Snowmobilers" sign out front even though it was still over 30c. They let cyclists in though.

We sit down, there are several tables of locals, and one waitress.

She brings us menus, I ask for water and I'm met with "Just hold on Pumpkin, you have to wait your turn"

I did as I was told (wouldn't dare do anything else) and everything worked out fine! Funny lady, good basic food, and some dynamite milkshakes. No beer though but we remedied that at the gas station across the street (gotta love the US!)

Back at camp we had a look at Claude's very nice and new Michigan cycling maps. And had a beer. Fortunately for me these maps confirmed the route that we had previously worked out on my e-devices. Whew.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the Day:

Dancing in the Streets by Martha and the Vandells

This song just feels like a hot summer day... It's all big city settings, and we're in the country, but it's Mowtown, and that's Michigan!

Historical monument of the day ... Still working on it....

Pics later, no wifi

Taylor at rhe Frontier bar.... Thanks for all your help
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Frontier bar is proud of their loos!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Classic Wisconsin dairy farms
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good by Wisconsin hello Michigan!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This hot and humid! This takes its toll by mid afternoon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Michigan, the motor state!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found this brand new bike trail as we were leaving Ironwood .... Looking good!
Heart 0 Comment 0
..... For 500 m ..... Then a dirt path! We have to stop falling for these head fakes, at least it was a very short retreat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Next ski holiday in Michigan? Louise and Chatter have nothing to worry about!
Heart 0 Comment 0
They welcomed cyclists too..... Home of the Pumpkin waitress!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 117 km (73 miles)
Total: 4,050 km (2,515 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0