Klosterneuberg - a day to explore - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 5, 2012

Klosterneuberg - a day to explore

The day is finally here - we are going to have a day at camp... do some laundry....mail home some of the things we no longer need. We are eager to lighten our load.
We also took advantage of staying put by doing a bit of sightseeing in the community where we are staying. Today will be the first day that we won’t be going in to Vienna.
We mailed 7 kg of clothes, books and maps, at a cost of 50 euros, back to Canada.
We had been warned that it would be expensive, and without any knowledge of the actual cost, we had budgeted for 50 euros. So we are relieved.
Tried a Cafe Konditorei for lunch - the smoke was so strong from people smoking in the cafe, that the air was hazy throughout - we won’t eat inside again.
Walked through the Abbey grounds and inside the Cathedral. Having enjoyed the view and the sounds of the clock tower for the past 6 days, we were intrigued to visit the expansive Abbey that dominates the area. Extensive restoration is ongoing and it is quite beautiful. We especially enjoyed the Renaissance gardens that surround the Cathedral grounds.
Campgrounds in Germany and Austria have top quality Miele laundry machines. It is our first machine wash since Bayeux France. Wow, what a difference to have clothes that are truly clean and not only washed by hand.
It was good to have an “at home” day in the midst of being on the road. We had tea on our deck, read and appreciated the time just to putter. Our trailer and panniers are now reorganized and ready for the next stage of our trip.
We are coming to terms with the idea that we may not ride through Romania this trip. Barry is game, but I am feeling, that as we probably won’t get there until late October, that we are a bit late in the season for the challenges it presents. As well, I would prefer to come back another time and do an Eastern Europe trip with Romania as part of the focus. At this point, we don’t know what we’ll do, but we may fly home from Belgrade, Serbia or Istanbul as originally planned if we can take a train or plane to Istanbul.

Sturm
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were the only non-smokers in the restaurant
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYea, dealing with smokers in a restaurant is very difficult!! Especially the guy who sat near you with a big cigar!!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat looks like a low arch, but perhaps it's not?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat campground!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a lovely camping cabin you all got! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0