A final day in Vienna - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2012

A final day in Vienna

We have decided to have an unstructured day of exploring Vienna. We are now comfortable with the transit and are happy to jump off and on the trams, bus and underground as needed.
First we headed for the flag shop - after much searching we found it. The shop looked amazing, but as is so often the case in Europe on a Saturday, they were closed. Oh well, still no French flag for our bike. Our flag pole is becoming quite interesting as the pole is becoming filled with flags from the countries we have visited.
As we explored a new area of the inner city, we came upon a Pumpkin Festival in the city square. Musicians were performing, children were carving pumpkins, local beer and wine were being sold and wonderful food stalls were very tempting. We had cream of pumpkin soup garnished with pumpkin oil - delicious. Sat with a Viennese man who was very interesting to talk to. He has lived the past 20 years in Vienna and gave us many tips on travelling in this part of Europe.

On reflection, we are so pleased with our decision to stay in Vienna for a week and have the time to explore independently on foot and by transit. We have more than gotten our value from the 7 day train/bus/underground pass we purchased. However, we have noticed that most people travel without a ticket. On our first day in Vienna, a student had suggested that we didn’t need to buy the pass, but we were reluctant to chance it.

We found that the crowds of tourists disappeared as soon as we got on the underground or took the tram out of the inner city. It is so interesting to be able to be a part of local life in this way.

We have seen some amazing art, admired the architecture, eaten well, “people watched”and fallen in love with the spirit of the city. Staying in Klosterneuburg in the mobile home, gave us an affordable and uncomplicated level of comfort, peace and quiet at the end of a long day of sightseeing. Tomorrow we’re back on the bike and moving on to Slovakia!

An incredibly hot day in Vienna - many tourists were taking advantage of the weather and enjoying horse carriage rides.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vienna has bicycle rentals throughout the city - drop off at any bike kiosk.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Segway tours are popular.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We happened on to a unique bike shop in the old town of Vienna - this Dutch bike carries cargo or up to 4 kids.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ribcap from Switzerland - a winter hat with reinforced lining to replace a bike helmet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a nice-looking bike shop! Light and modern.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Perfect for the West Coast of Canada - a bike with an umbrella attached. Who needs gore tex?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI've seen people overseas biking with an umbrella, but don't know if it works well when it's actually mounted to a bike?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
An unusual folding bike from Holland.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a nice Strida bike - - even has disc brakes!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
A bike with a newspaper holder.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting bike with the newspaper holder! :) Also the stylish small leather satchels on the rack.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry trying out the folding bike - and on cobblestones.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This will fit in our trailer, right?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pumpkin festival "Kurbis Fest"- entertainment by local musicians.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltFunny with the lady playing a musical instrument made of an animal horn!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Pumpkin carving
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meats for sale at the festival.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An unusual type of cheese
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bio Beer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We sat with this Viennese man and enjoyed pumpkin soup together.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a nice store/apartment building with the castle formation at the top. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Armed security guards!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cartier diamond necklace - 33000 euros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had coffee and cake at Aida - on the corner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The escalator to the underground
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting for our underground train to go back to Klosterneuberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A busy subway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0