The Belevedere to see the Klimt Exhibit: More Fabulous Art - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2012

The Belevedere to see the Klimt Exhibit: More Fabulous Art

Yesterday was such a full and exciting day - we really got to appreciate the treasures that are available in Vienna. I had bought a book at the Museum of Fine Arts and was upset to realize that I had left it behind at the church where we attended the concert. This morning I was so relieved to go back and find that the bag was still sitting there.

We are excited to be going today to Schloss Belvedere - one of the world's finest baroque palaces built for Prince Eugene of Savoy, conqueror of the Turks in 1718.
There are two palaces, the Upper and Lower Belvedere and both are now home to the Austrian Gallery. Like the Museum of Fine Arts that we visited yesterday, the building itself is extraordinary and worthy of a visit based on its own merit. The collection features art from the Middle Ages to the present and has a special focus on Vienna's beloved Gustav Klimt. We are lucky to be here in 2012 as there is a special exhibition honouring the 150th anniversary of his life.

Seeing his masterpieces, such as The Kiss, Judith and Salome, in person is magical. We left the museum exhausted but invigorated by the extraordinary art we had been able to see.

Visited the NaschtMarket for a stroll to see the busy stalls and had dinner at one of the many cafes. What a vibrant and busy place. The many stalls with seafood and the areas with turkish spices and olives were very tempting.

An adjustment in Austria is the prevalence of smoking everywhere. Most of Europe has tried to set aside non-smoking sections, but Austria compromised by allowing smoking (at the owner's discretion) in any small restaurant less than 80 sq meters, bar or coffee house. It is pretty much impossible to eat or drink away from smoke. We have become used to this but tonight we were joined by a fellow diner with a huge cigar - not good.

Came home to a heavy downpour - it will be good to be inside tonight.

Across the road from our campground is the train station where we take the train to go to Vienna
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ticket sellers for the nightly classical music concerts at the various venues roam the streets trying to entice you to buy tickets from them. They are usually dressed in Mozart era costume.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful fountain outside the gates
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Austrians show their gratitude to the Soviets for liberating them in WWII.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Soviet soldier atop the statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the Belevdere palace towards Vienna
Heart 1 Comment 0
The back of the Upper Belevedere
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Naschmarket, this stall sold wine, beer, etc - BYOB
Heart 0 Comment 0
Weisen beer (wheat)- the best
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We shared this "board plate" at the market - delectable meats, cheese, freshly grated horseradish, liver spread, pickled pepeprs and bread - yum
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were surprised yesterday at the Museum of Fine Arts that we could photograph paintings (flash free), however at the Belvedere, no photos were allowed, so we are sharing a few photos we took from a commemorative book that we bought. Klimt's "The Kiss" on the right
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGood that Mary Ellen was able to retrieve her book she bought and had left at the church!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Prince Eugene-original owner of the Belvedere Palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These whimsical busts were arranged in the round in their own section of the gallery - fascinating
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A classic painting of Napoleon full of symbolism and imagery typical of the era.However, at this actual battle, Napoleon rode a mule not a stallion.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting that Napoleon had ridden a mule, not a stallion, as the painting had portrayed!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Monet
Heart 2 Comment 0
Degas
Heart 1 Comment 0
A patroness of the arts and particularly Klimt
Heart 0 Comment 0
Judith, by Gustav Klimt
Heart 0 Comment 0
Klimt
Heart 0 Comment 0
A portion of the iconic "The Kiss"
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Upper Belvedere Palace that we visited. The 2nd palace on the grounds, The Lower Belvedere also is home to an art gallery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0