Windermere - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2019

Windermere

Today was going to be a short and easy ride.  It was certainly short but there were a lot more hills than we thought there would be.  With it being a weekend, we phoned ahead to make sure we could get accommodation at a campsite above Windermere.  It meant we would have to backtrack a bit tomorrow but we don't plan to rush through the Lake District.

The first section of today's ride was through farmalnd even though we were in the Lake District National Park. Most of the park is privately owned and is farmed for sheep or timber.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some lovely dry stone walls. We were very much into sheep country. I think these are the famed Herdwick sheep. A tough and hardy Cumbrian breed.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Kathleen JonesThese might be Swaledales if they have black faces but all I know about sheep I learned on Twitter.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Kathleen JonesHi Kathleen. Thanks for that. Not too sure myself. I took them to be Herdwicks based on the their funny colouring - the lambs black with white faces and the adults blotchy grey with the younger sheep in between. The campsite we are staying at tonight has a herd of Herdwicks and they look similar to me. But as I said, I'm not too sure.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen JonesTo Jean-Marc StrydomYou see them up closer than I can tell so we'll go with your ID.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
And some more with poppies thown in for good measure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Windermere. The section we were on the lake today does not seem accessible to the public and is lined with large and expensive looking houses that seem seldom used.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once in Bowness-on-Windermere we stopped off for lunch at a cafe cum bakery - some tasty ham, mozzarella and pesto sandwiches and a plate of chips that really filled us up.  This meant supper could be a no-fuss affair.  It was pretty hot sitting at a street-side table so we made sure that the groceries we bought for supper would light and summery.  Of course, by the time we got to the campsite at Park Cliffe about eight kilometers south of Bowness the clouds had come over and a chilly wind had picked up.

Our campsite has a nice view northwards over the mountains with a glimpse of Windemere below us.  It's a great level pitch - last night we slept on what seemed to be a ski-slope - so we are quite comfortable here.

Park Cliffe.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 1,421 km (882 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0