Ambleside - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2019

Ambleside

Today was planned to be an easy day.  A gentle ride up to Ambleside because tomorrow we have a tougher ride over the hills to Keswick.  We took our time during the ride along Windermere and once through the business of Bowness we had some good views of the lake.

Windermere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Windermere.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just before Ambleside we stopped for elevenses of bread and honey while trying to work out which peak was Scafell Pike, the highest point in England.  It turned oiut to be none that we could see from that position.

Windermere from the Ambleside end. We had our elevenses here today.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Roman fort at Ambleside is rather low on the ground but it was an interesting stop none the less.  Probably more striking was the lovely wall next to the fort and the hills to the north.

The lovely wall near the Roman fort at Ambleside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roman fort at Ambleside.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made a quick stop at the famous Bridge House in Ambleside (see https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ambleside/features/bridge-house---a-17th-century-survivor).

The Bridge House.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was up the hill to our campsite at Rydal Hall.  The campsite sits above the hotel and has a resident herd of Herdwick sheep.

Our campsite with a herd of Herdwick sheep.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Herdwick sheep.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Herdwick sheep.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 1,443 km (896 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0