Crooklands - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2019

Crooklands

The weather finally turned today.  Despite it being a cold start to the day it soon warmed up and the sun was out for most of the time.  It was great to be able to end the day sitting cooking supper in bright, warm sunlight wearing short trousers and a short sleeved shirt.

Today's route was pretty flat and easy.  A gentle ride up the Lune River to and through Lancaster after which we climbed up to the Lancaster Canal and crossed to the northern side of the Lune using the aquaduct.  The Lancaster Canal is also known as the Black and White Canal because it was built to link the limestone quarries of Cumbria with the coal mines of southern Lancashire.

A bit of bird watching along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Lune Viaduct.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Lune Viaduct.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Black and White Canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Black and White Canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Lunch stop was at a pub along side the canal at Hest Bank.  Garlic bread and skinny fries with a small beer.

Our lunch took a long while to be served - the kitchen was under the pump with all the customers attracted by the great weather.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Black and White Canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tow path started to fizzle out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The canal ran through farmlands towards the end our ride along it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Into Cumbria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cumbrian countryside.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Camping proved to be difficult to find.  It is the Saturday following the summer solstice and with the weather as good as it is we thought we should book ahead.  Just as well we did.  Very few of the campsites would accept tents and the ones that did were full.  We managed to get a spot at Little Acre Holiday Park at Crooklands.  It is close enough to the Lake District, which we didn't want to enter today because it would be really busy, and close enough to last night's digs to make for an easy day.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,389 km (863 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0