St Ives - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2019

St Ives

The weather gods seemed to be on our side this morning because the mist lifted just before we left to cycle down to Lands End.  There were a few other cyclists there but they soon took off without exchanging greetings.  We spent some time there taking a few photographs and soaking up the atmosphere before setting off on the track that led to Sennen Cove.

Approaching Lands End.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The entrance to the center at Lands End.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lands End.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Starting northwards to John o'Groats :-).
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sennen Cove.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The first part of today's short ride was pretty easy until the climb up to St Just.  From there to St Ives was a case of up and down with a bit of walking.

St Just.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Just.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just outside St Just.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical farmland between Lands End and St Ives.
Heart 0 Comment 0

While stopped at an old tin mine we noticed two other cycle tourists coming from the north.  They turned out to be a South African couple from Barrydale, my parents old home town.  After a long natter they continued towards Lands End and we carried on northwards.

Old tin mine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With Ruth and Mark.
Heart 1 Comment 0
With Ruth and Mark.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are spending the night at Hellesveor Holidays just outside St Ives.  After setting up camp we cycled into the town.  It is a pretty little town but I was blown away by the number of holiday makers that were packing its streets.  I can't imagine what it must be like in the middle of summer.

St Ives Harbour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Porthgwidden Beach at St Ives.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Porthmeor Beach at St Ives.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After checking out the harbour and some of its beaches we escaped back to Hellesveor.  Tomorrow we head for the RSPB reserve at the Hayle estuary to to a bit of bird watching.  Not sure where we might spend the night.

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 463 km (288 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0