St Day - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2019

St Day

We awoke to a cold and windy morning, not as misty and damp as at Sennen but cold enough to keep us snuggled up in our sleeping bags until after seven thirty.  The campsite we are in is quite pretty set amongst old dry stone walls in what was probably a farm in the past but the wind seems to funnel; down between the walls at our tent.

Dry stone walls at our campsite.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once on the road we took the bypass south of St Ives and headed Hayle where there is an RSPB site where we hoped to do some bird watching.  The first two kilometers was a stiff climb on a busy road, setting the tone for the day.  Then we had a great downhill to the Leland Saltings and the estuary at Hayle.  There is a hide there but we timed things to pure imperfection.  The best times for birding there appears to be in winter, early in the morning (or late in the evening) and at high tide.  We got there in early summer at midday on the low tide.

Here we joined National Cycle Route 3 and slowly climbed and dipped our way northwards to Barripper (what a wonderful name!).  The route wasn't always obviously marked and we first lost it in the town of Camborne.  Luckily we bumped into some other cyclists who told us we were going the wrong way.  Once back on the route we lost it again halfway to Redruth and endured another wicked climb in dangerous traffic until we stumbled upon a  lovely bridle path that formed part of the Cornish Mining Trail.  This led us to the village of St Day where we are spending the night in the local campsite which is as good as any we have stayed in so far.

After setting up camp we cycled into the village to buy some groceries, stopping off at the attractive old church along the way.  Services are now held in what used to be the Sunday School building.

The defunct old church at St Day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

While cooking supper we had a bit of a disaster, somehow avoiding what could have been catastrophic.  I managed to bump a pot of boiling water while cooking and some ended up on Leigh's thigh.  The skin is red and sore but no blisters so we have treated it with cold water and an ointment for treating burns.  She is in a bit of discomfort but hopefully she will be able to sleep tonight and feel better in the morning.

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 504 km (313 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0