Sennen - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2019

Sennen

We wandered off to the station to catch the train at about nine thirty giving us ample time to find out how the system works before it scheduled arrival time of 10:32 .  In the end it was more time than we needed because the train was delayed by about fifteen minutes.  Getting the bicycles on was not as easy as in south-east Asia.  There aren't any hands willing to help and the space available was barely big enough for the bicycles let alone large enough for them to fit into the rack provided.  The trip was further delayed at the first stop at Exeter due to the police having to board the train to remove a drunk passenger.  Leigh took the opportunity to get a few hours of work under her belt while I managed to get a bit of sleep.

Leigh getting a few hours of work in on the train.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Upon our arrival in Penzance we got the bikes and panniers off the train, changed into cycling shorts and headed off onto National Cycle Route 3.  But only for a very short way.  Within seconds we realised we weren't wearing out cycling helmets.  We rushed back to the station but the train had already left.  Great Western Railways have an agreement with missingx.com for retrieval of lost property so we regestered the helmets as missing and eventually left about an hour and a half later than we thought we would.

We somehow deviated off the cycle route, largely because I was so upset with myself about forgetting the helmets on the train, and we struggled the hills and the traffic up the A30 towards Land End.  

Apparently, the last pub in England is here in Sennen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the village of Sennen we stopped at the Seaview Holiday Park, the last campsite before the descent to Lands End where we setup camp in a cold but calm evening.  We will head down to Lands End tomorrow.  The weather forecast for tomorrow is not good so we are expecting the visit to Lands End to be less than pleasant.  However, it is something that needs to be done.

Today's ride: 17 km (11 miles)
Total: 419 km (260 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0