Reading - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2019

Reading

It took a while to get away this morning.  Not that it really mattered since we only had thirty kilometers or so to do today.  We were feeling slightly fragile but Justin cooked up a great breakfast of bacon and eggs which, with a few cups of coffee, had us feeling ready to hit the road.  Befoire we left I booked us some accommodation in Reading and our train tickets to Penzance for ourselves and the bicycles.

Our route was mostly on quite busy roads but occasionally we managed to divert onto quiet paths on one of which we came across a group of friendly Shetland Ponies.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We also came upon a sign that caught my eye.  My mother's nickname is Whitty and she did her BA in speech and drama so I felt I had to take a picture of it for her.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our digs in Reading were a little bit disappointing but I guess we couldn't expect too much for forty quid.  The guesthouse is above a seedy looking beauty shop in an even seedier neighbourhood.  The towels provided are unique in that they are water repellent and they simply move moisture from one part of your body to another when you try to dry yourself.  Loud traffic streams constantly past the window.  However, we are just over a kilometer from the station so we won't have to rush to catch the train tomorrow morning and we are too tired to worry about these small inconveniences.

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 402 km (250 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0