Farnborough - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2019

Farnborough

The plan for today was to head up towards Guildford on the last bit of the Downs Link before heading first westwards and then northwards again up to Farnborough where we would spend the night with Justin and Kathy.

Back onto the Downs Links
Heart 0 Comment 0

Somehow we missed our turn westwards just before Guildford and ended up taking a rough tow path along a canal.  One section required a bit of nifty bike walking to keep us from falling into the canal.  It spat us out into the western part of Guildford itself and we had a few kilometers of ugly cycling before we came upon the Christmas Pie Trail which led us westwards.

An attractive but rather rough and narrow tow path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near the end of the Christmas Pie Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

South of Aldershot we joined the Blackwater Valley Path that should have taken us northwards but near its end it ended with a security fence and barbed wire so we took a rough track across to the motorway and North Camp where we joined the road system again that took us into Farnborough.

The Blackwater Valley Path starts to fizzle out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then comes to an abrupt end.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So we took the alternative route.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was great to meet up with Justin and Kathy again.  Justin soon had the fire going for the braai (BBQ) and the drinks kept flowing.  We ended up having a later night than usual and I suspect we could feel a bit fragile in the morning.

Ons gaan nou braai !
Heart 0 Comment 2
Mike AylingThat pesky spell checker again- change one to ons!

Mike
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Mike AylingThanks Mike!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 370 km (230 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0