Day 28 - Bressanone to Trento - 9 1/2 Weeks - Copenhagen to Lecce 2019 - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2019

Day 28 - Bressanone to Trento

Cruising with Ruben and the Jets

What else could you call a day where you are basically riding downhill all day.

In general, old rail trails and or river bank rides aren't the most thrilling. When you combine the two you have the potential for a forgetful day. However when you throw those two things together into very narrow valley in the Italian Alps and then add in beautiful sunshine and a little help form the wind, the equation changes completely.

This was a day of effortless pedalling through amazingly beautiful terrain dotted with centuries old villages. What more can I say, the elevation profile on the map and the pics say it all.

A huge shout out to the folks in Trentino who have taken the old rail infrastructure and made perfect bike trails out of them. Build it and they will come.

We had our 'fastest' day of the trip and were at our B&B (in a very narrow little alley just off the main square in Trento) at 4:30. About the only hiccup we had in the entire day was at dinner when I reverted to form and wandered the streets, (indecisively) checking out every restaurant before finally deciding on one. This drives the rest of our tour group bonkers!

Made a good pick though, so all was forgiven. 

Song of the Day, Me and Armini by Emiliana Torrini

'Some people think that I'm ... heading for a meltdown'

Arriving in Trento it finally felt like we were in Italy. It only has one name, not two, most people are speaking Italian, not German. This song has always seemed so Italy to me ... but careful ... Emeiliana's from Iceland .. and this is Trento -Alto Adige ... not really Italy ... yet. Anyway, lovely song and K was heading for a meltdown with me by dinner time!

And for those who thought that today's title foreshadowed a FZ classic, well you will just have to wait.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Another 9 am sharp start from the lovely Hotel Traube
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Isarco river has carved out a narrow steep walled gorge south of Bressanone as it flows down from the Brenner pass. Over the years a few folks have built some impressive forts along the canyon walls ... here's one of them!
Heart 5 Comment 0
The bike route (E1) went right down the narrow main street of old Chuisa. Lots of folks out and about in the early morning
Heart 6 Comment 0
... and this serpent leading this poor fellow into temptation
Heart 2 Comment 0
All along the trail there were commissioned art installations. Both K and I liked this 'fish'
Heart 3 Comment 0
... there were also a number of 'non-commissioned' pieces ... like this underpass ... lovely Bart Simpson / Nirvana mash-up!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Once again we had amazing bike paths set in some pretty spectacular terrain. The Isarco valley is very narrow for almost the entire way from Bressanone to Bolzano
Heart 5 Comment 0
... and to top it off we had brilliant blue sky
Heart 3 Comment 0
Given that the valley is so narrow, there is a motorway, a high speed rail line, a regular highway, and the bike trail (on an old railbed) occupying a small space. The Motorway is elevated for the most part and you really don't notice it ... except when you stop to take a picture of it!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking south towards Bolzano with the 'regular highway beside the bike trail
Heart 2 Comment 0
... and the same shot looking north to where we came from
Heart 2 Comment 0
At Bolzano, the Isarco valley meets up with the Adige valley (& river) and broadens out. At this point the endless apple orchards in the north start to give way to grapes!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Still absolutely perfect bike trails to ride on south of Bolzano
Heart 2 Comment 0
Incredible terrain ... vertical cliffs lining the flat vineyard filled valley bottom
Heart 1 Comment 0
... same shot looking north back towards Bolzano
Heart 4 Comment 0
.. and a closer look at K riding!
Heart 5 Comment 0
We've arrived in Trento and found our B&B down a narrow little alley just off the main square. Very nice apartment and great location!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful views of (part of) the Duomo from our post ride bevy perch beside the main Piazza
Heart 1 Comment 0
Casa Cazuffi - beautiful renaissance fresco's
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fontanna di Nettuno in the Piazza Duomo - part of our post ride bevy view as well
Heart 3 Comment 0
.. and yet more fresco's buildings
Heart 1 Comment 0
... nice little street shot as we were wandering around to find a place to eat!
Heart 1 Comment 0
... and that's all for today!
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 107 km (66 miles)
Total: 1,942 km (1,206 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rachael AndersonGlad you got such a wonderful day for your ride. We’ve biked this before and loved it.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Lyle McLeodTo Rachael AndersonHi Rachel,
You guys are amazing ... ride, write your own (great) journal with videos complete with soundtracks ... and still find the time to read and comment on our ride! Appreciate the feedback ... and just had a quick look at your trip in Spain ... the vultures look very cool. Spain hasn't been much on our radar ... but we are really starting to appreciate the tremendous food scene in the various regions ....we may follow your crumb trail!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
David Andersononce again your blog inspires me. It's been almost 4 years since my ride eon EV6 and then south on the CAAR. Prostrate Cancer, the pandemic and recently congestive heart failure have taken the wind out of my sails but who knows maybe summer 2023 may have another long ride for me.
Dave Anderson
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodHi Dave,
Thank you for the very kind comments. So sorry to hear about your health setbacks. Both Kirsten and I hope you're able to get on the trails again. The rides around the Italian Lakes and the Dolomites would equal the CARR, we hope you get the opportunity to ride them and compare for yourself.
Regards, Kirsten & Lyle
Reply to this comment
2 years ago