Day 26 - Day off in Cortina - 9 1/2 Weeks - Copenhagen to Lecce 2019 - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2019

Day 26 - Day off in Cortina

Lazy Afternoon and much needed rest for the legs

Cortina's a ski town (and will play host to the 2026 Winter Olympics (again) as Calgary / Canmore sit on the sidelines ... I won't rant about that here). It's not ski season yet, and the summer crowds are gone, so it was a delightfully quiet day here. Beautiful sunshine, nice warm fall temps in the afternoon, and a day of doing not much of anything other than resting our legs and catching up on domestic stuff like laundry, emails and this blog.

Really quite nice.

We made a more detailed 72 hour plan too.

As I foreshadowed very early on in this blog, we have to take a 'mid term break' next Friday through Sunday as I have to be in Munich for some meetings associated with some volunteer work I do.

We had previously arranged to stay with a guy we met through Warmshowers ( a reciprocal hosting organisation for cycle tourists) in Peschiera del Garda and stash our bikes and gear there while we head back to Munich for a few days.

My original (and very vague) plan was to continue south from here and then work our way west to Lake Garda and Andrea's place. It's a bit complicated to piece together a good route and will result in some long days with lots of climbing ... ummm. Given the time frame we have to make it there, Andrea suggested that we go back through Toblach & Brixen, and then continue straight south through Bolzano, Trento and then along the east shore of Lake Garda. That doesn't sound like a hardship (and we did this route in reverse 29 years ago!) and is quite doable and predictable as a three day route. 

So that's what we're going to do, The southern Dolomites will have to wait for another time as unfortunately we have a fixed date for having to be in Munich and  we can't gamble on it.

Back in the saddle tomorrow, retracing our steps through some beautiful country. The only black spot is the weather with rain predicted. It's not like we don't know how to deal with that!

Another lovely dinner tonight, braised veal cheek and a mussel & scampi risotto with a lovely Tuscan red. We will sleep well tonight.

Song of the Day, Fake Sugar by Beth Ditto.

Nice little song that I just like. Perfect for a relaxing laze-about day.

heading up the street in the morning for breakfast ... coffee, tea and a few savory pastries ... cool and crisp
Heart 2 Comment 0
A few mountain and village shots ... we didn't venture too far today ..
Heart 5 Comment 0
... just hung out and enjoyed the views and really had a restful day
Heart 2 Comment 0
... nice town, but very much a ski town. Quite quiet in the fall off season, and being a Monday, quieter still
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stunning views in every direction
Heart 7 Comment 0
.. can't be Italy without one bare breasted statue somewhere
Heart 3 Comment 0
Saluti!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0