Rock and Roll with Peak Views: Captains Flat to Numeralla - Lake to Lake Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2012

Rock and Roll with Peak Views: Captains Flat to Numeralla

Day 2
Sunday 23 September 2012
Captains Flat to Numeralla

A second day of superb, spring weather. We enjoyed clear, cool conditions and even a light tailwind for some of the day. Most of the day was on unsealed road surfaces varying from good, smooth clay to teeth-rattling rough dirt with protruding rocks.

The climbing began immediately on leaving Captains Flat toward Jerangle. Any route with a 'Peak View Road' gives the hint it will be hilly and it was. Great views to the Tinderry Range and in all directions including across to Tallaganda National Park. There were good stream-side rest spots along the way which could be used as camping spots.

Very little traffic.

Compared to the first, easy day this second day was hard cycling due to the rolling hills including some very steep climbs. Will's GPS tracker recorded a total vertical climb of about 2100 metres. With fully loaded bikes and on only day two of the ride, this was a tough day.

The day finished with a fast descent on sealed road to the hamlet of Numeralla. We were met by Mark's wife here who collected him for his planned return to Canberra.

The other three of us camped at a free, designated reserve on the Badja River at Numeralla. Very quiet with a fast running stream, a fireplace, tables and toilets. It would also be a spot to test our cold weather gear as the overnight temperature dropped to -6 degrees C.

For anybody thinking of this route, note that there are no shops or services at Numeralla which is about 20 km from the large town of Cooma.

Distance 82 km
Average 12.7 km/ hr
Maximum 56 km/ hr
6 hrs 27 mins riding
2100 metres total vertical climb

Green valley a few kilometres out of Captains Flat on the way to Jerangle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The end of the seal on the Jerangle Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is cattle country... and they are curious cattle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rural property with a touch of recycling. Seen from the road to Jerangle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical of the road to Jerangle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Views across to Tallaganda
Heart 0 Comment 0
Will reaches the crest...one of many hills today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
John's coffee maker was to prove a good inclusion on this trip. It is lighter than it looks and makes great coffee.This piece of gear is needed for early starts...
Heart 0 Comment 0
An antique wheat harvester on the road verge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes...it is a venerable Sunshine Harvester. An iconic Australian product.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rocky roadside stream
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sad to see a wombat as road kill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road stretches up to a big blue sky.
Heart 0 Comment 0
He's alive and well...
Heart 0 Comment 0
...but not happy about having his photo taken.Large lizards are often seen in Australian bushland. There are many species. They are generally harmless and shy but can bite if provoked. Infection, not venom, is the greatest risk if bitten. Look in wonder but don't touch or provoke.
Heart 1 Comment 0
First building spotted as we roll into Jerangle
Heart 0 Comment 0
An idea of where we are
Heart 0 Comment 0
They grow the trees tough up here. Rooted into broken rock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very pleasant riding through high, grassy woodlands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water access point for fire tankers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pleased to see sealed road surfaces on the approach to Numeralla. In the far distance is the Cooma area and the Monaro high country beyond we will cycle through in the next few days.It was a fast roll down this steep hill toward Numeralla.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first glimpse of Numeralla
Heart 0 Comment 0
The riders.Mark is smiling most and has removed his helmet because this is the end of his part of the ride. For good behaviour he gets an early release and a lift home.The other three inmates will finish their sentence through the hills to Melbourne.Thanks to Carol for taking this pic.From left to right: Graham, Mark, John and Will.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Day 2 campsite. Lovely spot on the Badja. Bit chilly. The temperature dropped to -6 degrees C.Water bottles froze overnight.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 147 km (91 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0