The Big Chill: Numeralla to Dalgety - Lake to Lake Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2012

The Big Chill: Numeralla to Dalgety

Day 3
Monday 24 September 2012
Numeralla to Dalgety

Awoke to a very frosty, clear morning. Another beautiful, clear day. Subzero temperatures made it hard to get fingers and stiff limbs moving. Water was frozen in the water bottles. The overnight temperature was about -6 degrees C.

Yesterday's ride had had a considerable affect on muscles with very few parts willing to work easily today. Fingers were especially recalcitrant in the cold.

We had breakfast, disassembled the tents, packed and headed off into a still, cold, spring morning toward Cooma. It didn't take long to warm up.

Within two hours of more undulating riding, this time on good sealed road, we reached the sizeable town of Cooma. Here we rested for about 90 mins, ate at a cafe, stocked up on food and checked with the Visitor Centre about the Barry Way route ahead. They said it had re-opened four days ago to all traffic. They also showed me a 3-D topographical relief model of the Snowy-Monaro region. It showed some serious hills.

We departed Cooma on a backroad, (the Maffra Road) toward Dalgety. Although not as hard a ride as yesterday, it was still fairly demanding due to hills.

The road surface was excellent all the way to Dalgety.. There were grand views throughout the ride, especially of the Monaro high plains and of the snow covered main range. Very little traffic for most of the day.

The days' ride ended with a long, downhill roll to the small township of Dalgety on the Snowy River. We booked into the one pub in town. Buckleys Crossing Pub. The warmth, shower, and evening meal were welcome after two hard days of cycling.

The publican and his wife were keen to chat about their plans and the area.

Distance 80 km
Average 15 km/ hr
Maximum 63.7 km/ hr
5 hrs 40 mins riding

The Badja River at Numeralla. Frosty morning...-6 C froze water in the bottles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Badja River Numeralla
Heart 0 Comment 0
Packing up camp from Numeralla. -6 degrees C overnight tested the sleeping gear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Numeralla
Heart 0 Comment 0
Numeralla to Cooma road scene
Heart 0 Comment 0
Red Belly Black Snake on road side about 10 km from Cooma. And no ....bike helmets, despite their many virtues do not protect against snake bite.This one is there for scale.The Red Belly Black Snake aren't as venomous or aggressive as the Easter Brown snakes. Still, it is best to keep a good distance and leave them alone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View to the ranges from Numeralla to Cooma road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Glimpse of snow on the main range
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Cooma
Heart 0 Comment 0
Backroad from Cooma to Dalgety. There were very few cars.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stands of dead eucalypt trees. Possibly caused by fire or disease.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical Monaro high plain.
View on the way to Dalgety from Cooma
Heart 0 Comment 0
View to the main range
Heart 0 Comment 0
Windmills on the Cooma to Dalgety road. Note the birdnest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the Monaro high plain to the Snowy Mountains
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road from Cooma to Dalgety. More of the Monaro high plains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical Monaro high plain scenery...big sky country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horses near Dalgety
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Monaro high plains
Heart 0 Comment 0
Granite country. Monaro boulders.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dalgety accommodation. The Buckley Crossing pub.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Snowy River valley will be part of our way through the mountains and down to the Victorian coast
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pub dog. Keen to play football.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gideons help dry the holey socks
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 227 km (141 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0