A Superb Rail Trail: Port Welshpool to Inverloch - Lake to Lake Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2012

A Superb Rail Trail: Port Welshpool to Inverloch

Day 12
Port Welshpool to Inverloch
Wednesday 3 October 2012

Today's ride started with short back track to Welshpool from the cabin stay at Port Welshpool and then on to Toora. The traffic was heavier than expected and the road shoulder inadequate. It was not too bad but nor is it a section of road I'd recommend to other riders. It is best avoided.

From Toora to Foster both traffic and shoulder were better. Both Toora and Foster were pleasant towns.

First puncture of the trip today for any of the bikes.

A short, very sharp nail, a carpet tack, passed through my rear tyre as I came into Foster. It conveniently flatted in front of a cafe.

At Foster, we rode onto the Great Southern Rail Trail. This was the best section of rail trail we have ridden. I'll leave it to a few photos to show the scenery. Lovely views all the way.

From Foster to Fish Creek it was then on to Buffalo. We had lunch there, then pushed on by backroads (not rail trail) to Inverloch.

Feeling fairly well fatigued, we booked in to a Big-4 foreshore campsite at Inverloch. Pizza and a beer or two for dinner and an early night.

The country crossed today was rolling, dairy country. Very lush, very green but moderately hilly with a light prevailing westerly wind.

It is one of the mildest nights we have had, so it is pleasant camping with no wind and a temperature of 8-10 degrees C.

It was a big day of cycling following from yesterday's effort. About 200 km in total over the two days. Being the 12th consecutive day of cycling, we should probably be looking for a rest day but Melbourne, the ride end, and meeting up with family is close.

Distance 88 km
Average 14.6 km/ hr
Maximum 45.6 km/ hr
6 hrs riding

The wharf at Port Welshpool. It is long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wind turbines. A sample of headwinds in Gippsland indicates these should always be turning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More lush green. This time fringed by the ocean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside fields on the way to Inverloch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first and only puncture of the trip was caused by the nail on the left.Quickly fixed at a Foster cafe. This is really an unnatural hazard but deserves a mention. Common near building sites.There were 6 wheels on this tour. Each did over 1000 km.One puncture in 6000 km of total rolling isn't too bad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We join the Great Southern Rail Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
We haven't got a dog. But we do have helmets, so I guess we are following some of the rail trail guidelines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rules are strict.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We only went as far as Buffalo. Sign on the Rail Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical section of the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fern gullies are along the trail in several areas
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the trail highpoint
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across to Wilson's Promontory
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lush fields. Prime dairy country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Verdant views from the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watch out for drop bears. Mythical mutant Koalas which launch themselves from great heights onto unsuspecting cycle tourists.Warning signs made us alert but not alarmed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An appreciative audience. The applause was deafening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite at the Big 4. Inverloch foreshore grass. Sheer luxury.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the inlet near Inverloch
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach next to where we camped at Inverloch
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 88 km (55 miles)
Total: 894 km (555 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0