Onsen stay, Goto island; 14th March - Japan, Kyushu — testing the waters - CycleBlaze

March 14, 2024

Onsen stay, Goto island; 14th March

Cycled down the coast to a small village in Tamanouramachi Arakawa. 

Stayed with a fisherman who also runs a ryokan (?) style hotel. Chatted with him as he was coming back from fishing to see if we could stay. Cost was ¥4500 each. The onsen on his hotel was very rustic, and worn down in places but charming. Turns out he inherited the business from his mother and continues to keep it running along but it’s not his main job — he prefers fishing. 

He offered to cook dinner for ¥600 which we gladly agreed to. Dinner was lovely — he cooked his fish in the ‘aburi’ style (raw fish blowtorched) and lots of other fish dishes. 

After he’d had a few beers he brought out some calendars of glamour models — turns out his ryokan has been used for several photo shoots for these models posing with not much on which he was very proud about! 

After a good nights sleep we began to check out. When I asked for the price overall, the cost of the dinner had jumped to ¥1500 each. Still very reasonable, just a bit annoying to be given one price initially only for it to increase the following day. I didn’t want to create any friction so just handed over the money and we went on our day. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A modest photo of one of the calendars he had.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a refreshing swim as a break
Heart 0 Comment 0
Observation point overlooking beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 115 km (71 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0