Day 74 Alder MY to Dillon MT - Still 8 years old in my brain - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2023

Day 74 Alder MY to Dillon MT

The ride from Alder to Twin Bridges was perfect cycling fun. With an overall slightly downhill grade and minimal wind, the miles zipped by while I got to enjoy the amazing open landscape of Montana. Alder is a small town whose major business is the restaurant/ bar/motel/ATM. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Though once beyond town, the vistas are expansive and calming. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
       

  After 10 miles, I passed through Sheridan which appeared much more prosperous with multiple coffee shops and restaurants, even a liquor store advertising fine wines. 

Twin  Bridges was another ten miles down the road and appeared larger and even had a library and museum and a weaver’s studio, which unfortunately was closed. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

There was a nice rest stop on the northern edge of town with clean bathrooms, a water fountain and a bike camp with a covered structure. The route turned southwest from here on SR 41 which for many miles had no shoulder especially in the hilly parts where they would’ve been helpful. The traffic was quite heavy. One tractor trailer gave me an obnoxious honk. The road passed Beaverhead Rock, a landmark for Native Americans and early settlers. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Reclaimed wetlands near Beaverhead Rock
Heart 1 Comment 0
I passed this cemetery with beautiful trees lining the drive-so inviting in the hot sun.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Before long I was in Dillon. There’s a branch of the University of Montana here. We’re camped 5 miles north of town; there are mountains in the distance in every direction. 

There was hazy smoke in the air this evening. Not sure where it was coming from but luckily it has cleared. Tomorrow I ride to Jackson; I will go over 2 passes so I better get some sleep. Today was a good day. 

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 2,711 miles (4,363 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0