Day 19 Caesar Creek State Park to Franklin OH - Still 8 years old in my brain - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2023

Day 19 Caesar Creek State Park to Franklin OH

We’re staying at Caesar Creek Sate Park for 3 nights because Peter’s nephew Ricardo and his wife Lety and son Sebastian are coming up from Texas to camp with us for a couple of days. We very excited to see them!  Unfortunately there was a terrible accident on the highway and they got waylaid a few hours so will probably arrive late today. Seeing as how I have about 15 miles to get to Waynesville then 69 miles to get to Connellsville where we are camping on Thursday, I decided to take a short ride today to cover some of that distance. 

Today was such delightful cycling! Not long after leaving the Sate Park, l encountered my cute farmhouse for the day amid rolling farmland. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonGreat clouds!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleYes! I’ve really been enjoying them.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

                                                                               
Shortly after, the route joined the Little Miami River Scenic Trail, a mostly wooded paved path.  I encountered only a few local cyclists and no pedestrians in 5.5 miles. 

Heart 4 Comment 2
Julie O’Neilleverything is so green, it's beautiful

a big YES to turtle rescues - just be sure to move them in the direction they were heading

❤️
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Julie O’NeillI really appreciate these lovely trails!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

So should you do turtle saves on a bike trail?  As I had just passed a non responsive couple of my vintage, I decided it was wise to get the poor little guy off the trail for their sake and his. 

Off you go little turtle!
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltMap turtle

https://www.inaturalist.org/guide_taxa/35295
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltSurprised that he looks lost then. Maybe he can’t crane his neck far enough to see the map.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks for the ID Bill!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

The trail was peppered with multiflora roses and golden Alexander. 

Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltPretty, but highly invasive multiflora rose.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/78882-Rosa-multiflora
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like wild parsnip

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/59778-Pastinaca-sativa
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Bill ShaneyfeltHmm. Can you eat it?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Sandy EarleRoots are edible, but leaves can cause severe skin blisters.

https://hennepinmastergardeners.org/dont-eat-this-type-of-parsnip/
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Bill ShaneyfeltGood reason not to pick wild flowers you don’t know!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

This is a Queeen Anne’s Lace lookalike- very toxic to mammals , especially grazing ones:

Poison Hemlock; the leaves look like carrot leaves.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltYeah, bad stuff and taking over bike trailsides really fast.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Bill ShaneyfeltI see a lot on edges of fields too.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Julie O’NeillYou are quite the botanist, Sandy. And good thing you are. It's good to know the names of the plants you see, what to appreciate, and what not to brush against.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

I passed this massive horse farm on the way to Springboro. It seemed to span both sides of the road. Someone has money here. 

Nice horse barn, one of many.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Springboro is a cute little town. I was happy to see these signs throughout the town:

Heart 2 Comment 0

Outside Springboro, there were many housing developments that reminded me of the northern suburbs of Milwaukee WI. The kind where you can only paint your house certain shades of beige, gray or white, keep your garage door closed, and don’t hang any laundry outside. There were, however, several expansive parks with many baseball fields and soccer fields. 

I rode by this unusual agricultural endeavor. I wonder if they’re going to plant through the plastic (mulch?) and run harvesting vehicles/ machinery down the dirt paths. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

I decided to call it a day in Franklin;  it was a truly enjoyable ride. And Thursday should be a 57 mile day! 
Peter and Henry picked me up and we took Henry to a dog park in Springboro to catch balls.  
Family arrived after 7 pm. Ricardo surprised us by bringing his Mom from Mexico! We had a great meal; only one steak fell in the campfire. Stayed up way too late talking and catching up. 

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 659 miles (1,061 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Bill ShaneyfeltI live in Dayton and frequent our local trails. Enjoyed seeing the flora you found
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill! I’m enjoying your neck of the country.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Julie O’NeillEnjoy camping with your family! You have had such pleasant weather, I hope it continues for your visit. And for your entire ride!

Are you feeling like Superwoman yet?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Nancy HornikSo proud of you Sandy! You are FINALLY living your life dream. Hope you are enjoying your tine with family. Enjoy every memory. Thanks for taking me on your journey.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Nancy HornikRemember when I tried to take time off from work for this?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago