Eagle River - Florence, WI - The Only Thing Fast On This Tour Is The Ferry - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2021

Eagle River - Florence, WI

Heart 0 Comment 0

The laugh was on me, being so happy to stay at a Super 8 Motel. No wi-fi, and we have used all of the roaming data on our TMobile plan. I barely got the journal up before our phones went black. From here out, if we don't have wi-fi, it's possible I might not get a journal update out daily. 

McDonalds is across from the Super 8. I've heard they have free wifi. We went over to check it out. Jacinto bought coffee and a muffin, to legitimize our stay. There was a couple in the corner, both intent on their computers. We weren't the only ones taking advantage of the wifi.

Today was our last big climbing day. Since the motel breakfast was so skimpy and Jacinto was out of leftovers (horrors!) - we went back to the family restaurant for breakfast. Prices there are very reasonable. $20. for two omelets. We stopped at the Walgreens on the way back for a couple of items. 

It was 10 AM when we got back to the room and then I was in a hurry to get out the door. I couldn't get my route to load and had to go back to McDonalds (and go inside, not outside) and hook to the wifi before the route would navigate. 

While we were at the restaurant, we saw a single female loaded tourist pulling out of the far side of the parking lot. She had four bright yellow Ortlieb panniers, a bright DaBrim on her helmet, and bright yellow clothing. She turned down Highway 70 our direction. I wonder where she was headed. She's the first touring cyclist we've seen since Naubinway.

I approached today happy. It was a climbing day, but our last big one of the trip. Don't tell Jacinto. 54 miles today, but only 30 tomorrow. Today is day six of riding in a row. The 30 mile day will be almost a rest day.

Today was my sort of routing day - stay on Highway 70 all day. I just needed to make the first turn the correct direction!

Tailwind, smooth pavement, light traffic, sunshine. What more could I ask for? It was a picture perfect riding day. Jacinto caught up with me at the halfway spot, on a climb, of course. Our elevation profile today looks like alligator teeth - all sorts of little climbs and descents. I was kept busy shifting gears all day!  

The few drivers were friendly. I waved and they waved back. All felt right with the world.

I didn't see any water all day today. Looking for water has kind of been a game of hide and seek all of this trip. To see if there was any water in a clear spot in the trees. No water today until we got close to town. 

Today looked much like Colorado, with aspen and pine trees. Not the ferns, they don't look like Colorado.

Conditions couldn't stay perfect the entire day. At mile 34, Highway 70 takes a turn. The new pavement disappeared and it was Colorado style pavement, with expansion cracks across the entire road about every 10 feet. Jacinto said he pedaled standing up, so the cracks didn't bother him.

He got to the motel first. Our name was on the door and the key in the lock. You've got to love the little places. Except for the 10 AM checkout time, Jacinto doesn't love that. I called and asked if we could get a late check out. The man didn't exactly say no, but he said the cleaning crew would sit and wait until we leave and he would have to pay them. It sounds as if we are leaving at 10 AM, and eating breakfast somewhere along the way. We haven't paid for the room yet. The man said he would be here at 8 AM to get payment. I told him I would be sleeping then . .  .I'm sure not on my usual touring schedule! Oren and I typically hit the road at 7 AM.

We are eating at another bar tonight. It was a great riding day. Perhaps my favorite of the trip. It's supposed to rain tonight, but clear up by morning. There was a warning on the TV about quarter size hail and to expect automobile damage. We don't have to worry. No automobile!

Jacinto was out of leftovers and the motel had a skimpy breakfast. We went back to the Family Restaurant. Prices there are excellent and the food is fine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These might look like construction barrels, but they are also an impromptu hide the cyclist potty!
Heart 3 Comment 0
This looks like Colorado, with Aspen and pine trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There is a monarch butterfly in the center of this photo. We have seen many of them daily. My mother would be happy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here is a better look at the plant. They were very tall, four feet or so. Today was the first day for these plants.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltCanada thistle.

https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/terrestrial/plants/canada-thistle
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Bill ShaneyfeltI wondered if they were a type of thistle. The leaves are prickly like thistles. The blossoms are purple, but not as big as the thistles around home. When I was a little girl, I had a Shetland pony that loved to eat purple thistles. Bessy would pull her lips back (so as not to prick them?), and would oh, so delicately bite the blossom off.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltChuckle!
Kind of like I do with dandelion blossoms for a tasty nibble, avoiding the bitter of the green.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Look waaaay into the distance. See those rollers? Jacinto was very happy.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Look at all of the wheels on the logging truck. What do you suppose it weighs? Notice that the logs are loaded sideways instead of long ways.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two things to see here. The face on the tree and the license plate looking sign. That is how the rural addresses are marked in both Michigan and Wisconsin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A good old Ford!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our home for the night. It is the best deal of the trip so far. $85. For a two bedroom apartment.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 1,181 miles (1,901 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
jerry witherspoonYep, you and Oren demanded an early 7 am start! So I had to hurry as well. How come we couldn’t have patterned this ride and have started later as well?

spoon
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonGlad to hear you had such a good day! I was worried about you after your tough ride to Presque Isle.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo jerry witherspoonWhich tour was there? I remember on the Arizona tour, you guys were all bundled up and leaving early, when I urged you to wait until it warmed up.
Remember leaving Cedaredge so early that we had to hang out at Arby's in Montrose for hours, until our rooms were ready?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago