Very fast traffic abounds: Kim's non-recommendation of M35 for cycling - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2011

Very fast traffic abounds: Kim's non-recommendation of M35 for cycling

Kim writes:

Crossed into Michigan and cycled up M35 this afternoon. The traffic on this two-lane road with rough shoulders made for a stressful and unpleasant segment of the tour. Although we rode single file and to the right of the white line, many drivers blared their horns at us and zoomed by with minimal clearance. This was quite a contrast from what we experienced in Wisconsin for the past 12 days. About 50 miles up the road, the map indicates M35 has a "4' or greater paved shoulder or bike lane." That should also help out when the semi trailers fly by at 70mph.

Tonight's campsite is nice and we are happy.

John writes:

Last night, some little shit - probably a raccoon - broke into my left pannier and stole the bag of my favorite trail mix. He didn't even touch my Power Bars or my Breakfast Bars . . . that little shit! Plus, it's pretty bad when the first thing that you have to do when you emerge from your tent in the morning is spray on some "Off"!

Despite these two obstacles, Kim and I departed Bayshore Park this morning on time in chilly temperatures. We mostly pedaled on back roads all morning, and eventually entered Michigan in the city of Menominee. We stopped at the Michigan Visitor's Center, where the nice lady behind the counter asked "You're doing WHAT?" and then said "You have some long days ahead of you."

Ready for part II
Heart 0 Comment 0

We loaded up on pamphlets and maps, and then ate lunch at Schloegel's on-the-bay. Man, that Kim can chow down!

Afterwards, standing in the parking lot in a light drizzle, we decided to press on.

Along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Strange bird
Heart 0 Comment 0

Avoiding Michigan State Route 35 as much as possible, we pedaled to end our day by getting a camp site at a county park on Lake Michigan called "Kleinke." Hmmmm . . . this park seemed to have a lot more of what I call "RV People" in it than previous parks. In closing, I can't believe that it's the middle of July in Michigan and I'm cold! Thank God for a nice fire.

Tonight's campsite
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 353 miles (568 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0