Continuing north through Wisconsin: Point Beach to Algoma with song themes, food, and more camping - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2011

Continuing north through Wisconsin: Point Beach to Algoma with song themes, food, and more camping

Leaving Point Beach State Forest
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kim writes:

For me, several song themes were running through the day today. The first one was "Bird on the Wire" by Leonard Cohen.

Like a bird on the wire

Like a drunk in a midnight choir

I have tried in my way to be free

Just so many red-winged blackbirds around, including one flying along with me, although I wasn't able to get a shadow shot in time. Such a great song....the lyrics kept my mind occupied while I slowly pedaled along enjoying the blue skies, wispy clouds, and nice temperatures.

"Bird on the Wire"
Heart 0 Comment 0
First shadow shot of this tour. Hoping for many more, as that means sunny days!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Later on we passed a dead skunk in the middle of the road so, of course, the music of Loudon Wainright came to mind. I kept coming back to Bird on the Wire though, and I especially love Kate Wolf's version.

When Emily, a nice girl from Madison, was asking about our trip she recommended the book "Miles From Nowhere" by Barbara Savage. Of course this brought to mind the Cat Stevens song by the same name.

Algoma pier light nearing sunset behind us
Heart 1 Comment 0

John writes:

This morning's sunlight revealed that somehow, our panniers had exploded the previous evening, leaving all of our gear strewn across the picnic table.

At the campsite before repacking our gear
Heart 0 Comment 0

So after breakfast, tea, and re-packing the explosion, Kim and I pedaled 24 miles to eat a late lunch at the Keawaunee Inn, in Keawaunee, Wisconsin. We just caught the tail end of an awesome Sunday brunch, and I only have one thing to say - that Kim can really chow down!

Kim's first two of three lunch plates. Turned out to be both lunch and dinner at one sitting. Pam was an excellent chef!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We hopped back on the bikes and pedaled to "The Flying Pig," an eclectic "Gallery and Greenspace" just north of Algoma, Wisconsin. It's one of those fancy-schmancy, artsy-fartsy places where you wish you had a $1000 that you didn't know what to do with.

Then we continued into Algoma, where we stumbled upon the last - repeat LAST - available camp site at Captain K's Landing in downtown Algoma. After the best showers of the trip so far, Kim and I walked over to a place called Cool Harbor, where I had a salad with wine, and Kim only had a glass of wine. We returned to Captain D's to do a load of laundry while paying bills and sending postcards.

Our campsite for tonight. A welcome spot after the hilly roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Warehouse at Captain K's Landing. A wonderful campground with great owner, and the best restroom and shower. This is where we stored our bikes overnight, and that kept them from getting wet with dew.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 58 miles (93 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0