Finally cycling!: Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI to Two Rivers State Forest - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2011

Finally cycling!: Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI to Two Rivers State Forest

Kim writes:

While unloading our car at Juliann's house yesterday evening, we noticed a deer walking through the front yard across the street. Unfortunately, I didn't get my camera out in time, so will just have to keep the image in my mind and get better at being prepared throughout the ride.

At breakfast today, we parked our bikes along the street in line with some of the Harleys. When a couple of those bikers were preparing to leave, they did a certain amount of looking at our setup. On a previous tour, any time I took a ferry boat ride, they assigned me to line up with the motorcycles. Fun contrast.

From the website photos, the SS Badger Carferry looked kind of like an oil tanker or cargo ship to me. Once on deck, it was more like a cruise ship, as John had been describing it. In either event I don't think it would qualify as a contender for Love Boat -- just not very fancy. It even transports semis across the lake! BUT it was definitely a very smooth ride all the way across Lake Michigan and a well-run operation.

On board the SS Badger Carferry
Heart 0 Comment 0

The weather was foggy in the early part of the ferry ride, but became quite sunny and warm. While sitting up on the deck, we met Sara. She identified our activity by John's Road ID wrist strap and, of course, our stylish outfits. She lives in the Pittsburgh, PA area, works as a bicycle pedestrian coordinator, and was back for a reunion in WI.

Shortly after getting off the ferry we met Jeremy, a nice young man who was just starting out on a solo tour down to Tennessee. It's so easy to spot cycle tourists and, of course, so fun to chat with them!

My newest friend on this trip is Juliann's 16-year old cat. Yes, a cat. I mostly prefer dogs, but she was a very nice, mellow cat.

Kim's pack for off the bike
Heart 0 Comment 0
So now Kim is in search of a great hot fudge sundae
Heart 0 Comment 0

John writes:

Kim and I were up at 5:52 this morning after six hours in our sleeping bags on the floor of Juliann's living room. Without saying a word, we pulled off a masterful pack-up that clearly was the result of our well-orchestrated training rides. We were out the door in an hour. We both ate the exact same breakfast at Brenda's Harbor Café in Ludington - how come you can't make eggs like that at home? Then we were dead-on time at the Ludington Ferry at 8:00, for the four hour trip across Lake Michigan on the S.S. Badger to Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

We debarked at noon (CST) and pedaled up the beautiful Mariner's Trail from Manitowoc to Point Beach State Forest with Lake Michigan on our right side the entire time.

John on the Mariner's Trail from Manitowoc to Two Rivers. Great route.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Point Beach, we jumped on the last - repeat LAST - available camp site, thanks to a no-show. We set up our camp, and then pedaled back out to a place called Point Sandy Bay for supper. Now we're out of here to go back to Point Beach, shower, and then sit beside a fire.

Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 23 miles (37 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0