Day 11 - 37miles 445 total! Washburne State Park to Reedsport, OR - Jack and Janet -- Seattle to Monterey 2010 - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2010

Day 11 - 37miles 445 total! Washburne State Park to Reedsport, OR

Today was a little bit of a challenge for a few reasons. First we had a 500ft climb right out the gate. The thing about Oregon climbs so far is that they are long! Not short grab your gut like CA but endless miles at times. Which makes them easier in the long run but they seem to last forever. 

Now after you have gone up for so long you expect to have a great down hill.....not always it seems. Twice today I shifted down thinking we were descending and could hardly move it was like some strange vortex that would not allow us to ease down but only continue up while in a downward looking grade??  Was very strange-thought it was just me because I had a little episode of vertigo this morning. However,  Jack experienced the same feeling so it was not me. Oh, yea there was a tunnel about half way up the climb! That means the tunnel was again up hill...another rush to the head. This one was the least scary. We could see all the way through. It had lights all the way through and there was no ditch on the side. All in all an ok tunnel. We continued south past Sea Lion Caves saw a few playing in the surf and then on into the town of Florence where we stopped for breakfast. I could smell the breakfast from the street and knew that was the place to stop. 

It was great the only problem was it is being closed the end of Oct. Was sold and will be torn down. The waitress had worked there since the 80's. The coast after Florence is made up of huge dunes that are used by off road dune buggies and four wheelers. There seemed to be lost of people taking part in that activity ...buggies everywhere. We couldn't see them from the road but we could hear them at times. 

The second 500ft climb came around Gardner after our late breakfast...yep it was not wise to eat so much before a long hill!!! Let's just say there have been better days. We made it and headed into Reedsport Best Western. We have enjoyed staying at them every few days because they have laundry facilities!! You can sit in your room and do laundry....very nice. And yes I am taking a hot bath! Sunset walk the night before at Washburne Park

Sunset Beach Walk -Washburne Park Day 10
Heart 1 Comment 0

Day 10 -be sure to take all the state park beach walks from camp to beach they are beautiful!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Washburne Pk sunset-like a stained glass window!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Heceta Head LIghthouse Day 11
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tunnel just after Heceta Head going up the 500ft climb!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just Pretty...the trees up here smell amazing as you are riding along!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 445 miles (716 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0