Day 12 - 41 miles Reedsport, OR to Sunset Bay State Pk - South of Coos Bay and Charleston, OR - Jack and Janet -- Seattle to Monterey 2010 - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2010

Day 12 - 41 miles Reedsport, OR to Sunset Bay State Pk - South of Coos Bay and Charleston, OR

Today started right off with hills! Just the perfect way to start the day. They didn't last to long think the longest was a mile and a half. After that we stayed high and did not give up the high ground to much. Most of the day we were behind the dunes so there was not to much to look at. We seem to be heading out of the forest. The trees are different here more elm, birch etc. What little forest we did have smelled great once it was like cotton candy. Not sure what they were but it was nice.

We headed down to North Bend and spotted a Walmart,  got to go shopping...yea. Needed a new SD card for my camera am sure my current will be full soon. Just a couple of other items and we were back on the road. 

We saw this really big climb with lots of traffic up ahead and were grateful  to be routed through the old downtown which did not have the big hill. Soon we were upon the Coos Bay Bridge.....oh, my!! We had planned to walk it as advised however the sidewalk was closed. Sooooooo- you guessed it! We rode across as fast as we could!! 

Once again there was no shoulder - the trucks behind me were very nice they only honked at me once lightly to let me know they were there and waited until they could get around safely to go around. It was also only two lanes. After the bridge we were headed to Charleston. A really cute little fishing town. Jack even recognized one of the boats. He has seen it in the Monterey marina. He loves his working marinas. We really wanted to have some fresh salmon but we still had a few miles to go and given our experience of late with meals and rides we decided not to do it. We did check out the local fish market WOW it looked so good! 

If you had the time stay in the little hotel in town or camp there and eat a great meal.We arrived at Sunset Bay State Park around 3:30pm. After pitching our tent we went back up to the bay and sat in the sun and enjoyed the beach! The hiker/biker site is really pretty and we are joined by two guys from WA heading to the redwoods for a few days and a woman from San Louis Obispo heading south. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Dune Buggy Dunes!
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesFor some reason this photo and the one above are a pretty good matched set. Something about the shapes, eh? Nicely done, Janet.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Coos Bay Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Jack loves marinas.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sunset Bay Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0

Camp ground guest- look close!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Flower of the day right in our camp!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 486 miles (782 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0