Day 10 - South Beach State Park to Carl Washburne State Pk - OR - Jack and Janet -- Seattle to Monterey 2010 - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2010

Day 10 - South Beach State Park to Carl Washburne State Pk - OR

What a nice ride today. It was overcast again however not as cold as yesterday with the sun..go figure! The wind stayed pretty calm and when we did have it - it was that tail wind we have been hearing about. 

We had rolling hills that were so much fun....big downs and big ups but you could get half way up before you even had to drop a gear. They were all around 200-300ft and all right on the edge of the ocean. A bikers dream.

We headed down past Waldport then on to Yachats where we found a great local bakery and coffee shop for a bit of lunch then ended here at Washburne Park. Oregon state parks are wonderful and they most all offer hiker/biker sites for only $5/6 a person!!! You get free hot showers and beautiful sites for that price....the but is they tend to be very large 300-500 camp sites and they are all full this time of yr (not the hiker biker). There are tons of kids on bikes, dogs, families etc. So they can be a little like a small town. Well NOT Washburne it is smaller only about 50 camp sites but has the largest hiker/biker we have been to and it is nice and quiet here!! 

We can hear the roll of the ocean and the wind in the trees! perfect....however there is no Sprint phone signal a first in the trip - so far we have been in range. Not sure where we were today I think near Cape Perpetua we looked out and there were several Humpbacks feeding just 50 yards off shore we watched for awhile it was so cool to see them so close. Tomorrow we head to Florence and beyond...not sure how far. 

We are enjoying our open ended pace and will take advantage of it while we can. Later in CA we may have to work harder to make waypoints as they are fewer and further between. Neport Bridge the half of mile of terror Jack called it!

Newport Bridge the Terror!! No shoulder!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Heart 0 Comment 0

Heart 1 Comment 0

Do not remember this one...but see a shoulder!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Heart 0 Comment 0

Heart 0 Comment 0

Heart 1 Comment 0

Heart 1 Comment 0

Beach sunning on the Oregon Coast! hats, gloves and two jackets!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Washburne State Park
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 408 miles (657 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0