Just Like Riding a Bike - World’s Whitest Beach Tour - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2023

Just Like Riding a Bike

That First Day of Tour Feeling

I’ve learned that there’s a certain mix of feelings on the first day of a tour, even one as unepic as this one. It’s a mix of awkwardness, apprehension, and anxiety overlaid with that special joy of cycle touring freedom.

Thankfully within an hour or two, the uncomfortable feelings evaporated, and the routine of riding a loaded bike returned without any deliberate effort. The hardwired habits fired up and the days ride unfolded beautifully. Riding conditions today were almost perfect. Comfortable temperatures, clear skies, zero to light traffic and mostly favourable light winds.

A surprise bonus was the number of bird sightings and birdsong. Warbling magpies, galahs, wrens, choughs, a kookaburra, swallows, ravens, ducks and of course cockatoos, made themselves obvious for most of the day.

I passed up the opportunity to camp at Warri Bridge on the Shoalhaven River, and rolled into Braidwood hoping to find a pub room. None were available. Two motels were also booked out.

Then I found Torpys Motel Cabins and the super enthusiastic owner Andrew who is gradually converting the accommodation to be fully run on renewable energy. He gave me a tour of the historic house and explained the intricacies of the power and water systems of the cabin. The shower was impressive as it impersonated a disco light show. Thanks Andrew (from Devon) for the free upgrade to Room 6! Big enough to accommodate my bike (from Somerset). 

Showered and refreshed I donned my best off-bike footwear and headed to the nearest pub for a quick meal, then back to the cabin to journal and recharge bike lights and the all important phone.

The day in photos:

The first 20km was on traffic free Canberra bike paths … with views.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The path was even labelled. No idea what C9 means though.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Federal Highway. Not everyones’ idea of pleasant riding but there’s a bike lane and traffic was light this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A state border. Must be progressing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Doing my best to look bright from behind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Turn on to Macs Reef Rd. Not much traffic today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
No relation
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking east. Over there somewhere is Bungendore and Braidwood.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Into Bungendore. Good to see lots of YES signs.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenYes to what, asks a Canadian who loves Australia?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Graham SmithOn Saturday there’s a national referendum to add formal, written recognition (as an amendment to our national constitution) of Australia’s Indigenous people as our first people.

Sadly (to me) the pre election polls are indicating that the referendum will fail.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Calorie top up at The Gathering Cafe in Bungendore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The morning
Heart 1 Comment 0
The afternoon
Heart 1 Comment 0
Definitely rural now
Heart 1 Comment 0
The beautiful Shoalhaven River from the Warri Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost the end of the day’s ride
Heart 1 Comment 0
A unusual feature of the motel cabin is a shower head with heat indicator lights. Hot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cold
Heart 1 Comment 0
Small town with some grand buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of several historic pubs in Braidwood.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lucky I packed my formal Crocs. Pub dinner.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 99 km (61 miles)
Total: 99 km (61 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierI can totally relate to that first day feeling. I try to remember that we just need to push through it, but sometimes the stress right at the start is a real challenge. I'm always convinced that I've forgotten one or more essential pieces of equipment, and Robin has to talk me down from the ledge.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago