Another day in Kyoto - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2023

Another day in Kyoto

We have known about Love Hotels for some time from reading other cyclists journals, and now, here we are doing the same thing. They sure come in handy. We do recommend them, but of course, like any accommodation, do the research to ensure it suits your needs. We had a lovely one booked which was highly rated. Luckily they had a no restriction cancellation policy as I discovered after booking it that the earliest check in time is 9 pm.  In asking for an earlier check in, they were happy to accommodate us, the catch is that you pay per extra half hour and within an hour you have doubled the price of your stay.

Barry getting our breakfast from the little door within the door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel Sagano gets a good rating and it is in part due to the friendly owners and their staff who give very good service. We enjoyed chatting with them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Togetso-Kiyo bridge spans the Katsura River. We have been following this lovely river for a few days
Heart 2 Comment 0

The bridge is the site of an important initiation for local children. Young boys and girls (in kimonosJ first receive a blessing from a local temple and then make their way across the bridge under orders not to look back. If one ignores this instruction, it is said to bring bad luck. The stakes are high for these children.

The Togetso-Kiya bridge and this smaller bridge anlongside are a tourist draw and their aesthetic melds well with the Japanese love of beauty. Having visited this area 37 years ago in the fall, we are remembering how was stunning with it was the backdrop of fall colours.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is Saturday and it is crazy busy here with tour buses and massive crowds of tourists. Barry got wedged in by this bus and the traffic so we had to wait it out in this gridlock. Yesterday when we rode through here to our hotel downriver, it was very quiet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sometimes, being on the road we forget what day it is. The crowds reminded it is Saturday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No option of riding on the sidewalk today. Yesterday, this area by the river and the bridge was so quiet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kimono rentals have a booming business in places like this.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsThat's a beautiful garment.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Barry BartlettI agree, that is why I took the photo. I loved the fabric.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The stamina needed for this kind of work is amazing. We saw the strength required to slow down these richshaws on downhills. Impressive.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We came around a corner to this lovely sight and the chorus of bullfrogs. Can you spot one?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guy is hiding in plain sight in the middle and the lower third of the photo.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fellow Canadians! Kylie and Tracy Tracy are from Whistler…what a small world. In the last month and a half, we have met 4 Canadians. It was great talking to them. Tracy has connections with Saltspring where we live and Kylie has just finished working and living in Hokkaido.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a wonderful residential area of homes and small quiet streets. It is hard to believe that the busy area is so close by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry discovered a new convenience store called MiniStop. They are known for their ice cream:Tiramisu in the bowl and vanilla in the cone. Move over Dairy Queen!
Heart 3 Comment 0
We get such smiles and greetings from all Japanese people we see. It seems that little kids are equally intrigued and it is special when their shyness is replaced by wonder.
Heart 3 Comment 0
As we have been getting closer to the centre of Kyoto, we are realizing that cyclists are not as welcome here. There are many signs and warnings to be aware of. When Barry went to the tourist office for info, they mentioned that Kyoto has more restrictions for cyclists here. They warned him to be careful cycling here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
While watching these women in their kimonos, you can see that the kids are having fun watching us too. Their friendly smiles and their curiosity are providing us with wonderful memories and make us feel very welcome.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We appreciate these smoke free areas on the street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Downtown Kyoto is a very busy place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shrine is very close to where we are staying.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were trying to decide where to stay, when we found this place which would have been a family home at one time located  on the the top floor. Riding up the hill, we were pleasantly surprised that we would be staying in the middle of a neighbourhood. People were coming out of their homes to greet us as we rode by.  Tiny shops were nestled in to the community.

Our bedroom…very comfortable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had everything we could possibly need…a fully equipped kitchen, living room with balcony, dining area, 3 separate small rooms for the toilet, bath and sink/washing machine. We had not expected such a wonderful experience for $68. It gave us an insight into what is in these buildings which we ride by. We wondered how many people lived in this space when it was a private home
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dinner from a nearby shop. Delicious.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,058 km (657 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0