Riding to Lake Biwa - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2023

Riding to Lake Biwa

Guesthouse Higashiyama was a lucky find for us, plus we had a garage for our trikes. We occupied the top floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Packing up and ready to go. We are looking forward to visiting Lake Biwa.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had a nice stay here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were very much entertained by these young women at the Family Mart who were busy getting ready for a day in Kyoto. We are in awe of the ability of Japanese people to wear layers of clothing on days as hot and humid as today. They seemed very pleased that Barry asked to take their photo.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Congestion overload. In trying to make a tricky turn with 3 forks in the road, I chose the wrong road. We finally connected with each other thanks to being able to communicate with our Cena helmets.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe Sena bicycle helmets with the intercoms are a GODSEND! :) :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
We never tire of looking a rice fields and the reflection in the water.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tunnels are a necessary thing when in a mountainous country. Barry has never liked tunnels but we both appreciate being able to go through instead of going over a mountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were happy to find this excellent large bike shop in a small town on our route today. One floor was devoted to touring bikes and mountain bikes, and the main floor catered more to families.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Interesting bikes in this store.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsStylistically at least, that bike's a throwback to the early 1900s. Paint it olive drab and it could have been an Army bike.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Cafe Gusto’s menu is a large book. Thankfully pictures accompany each item.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Robot brings your meal to the table.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsDon't tip it, though. :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltThat's wild - a robot waiter!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Barry’s meal…tasty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This truck had a stove in the back..charcoal or wood we don’t know. But it is always alarming to see flames and smoke coming from a vehicle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our route to Lake Biwa is getting more complicated. There are two roads that follow the same route and one of the is an E road. That means Express, there are tolls and one should never cycle there. The access for both roads is the same, you just have to make sure that you get it right. Our road is very busy and we had to take to the sidewalk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It got very interesting as we got closer to Otsu. We met some cyclists and the sIdewalk is too narrow for 2 bikes to pass. I helped this elderly gentleman by lifting his bike. He was so appreciative.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We arrived in Otsu safe and sound. The route is complicated by old and new infrastructure which, but it worked out in the end. We are staying at Koke Musu Inn which is in a lovely location on the lake. They treated us to a delicious coffee and we took advantage of,the pool table which watching some sumo wrestling.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The owner is a man of many talents and is very creative. He is an architect, creates complex dioramas and has transformed their home into a magical place.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Their passions and interests are incorporated in the design…Walking Dead fans, Paintball, enthusiasts, cooking, playing pool and moss plantings on the wall which serve as homes for fish. It is hard to describe…just come and stay. You will be amazed.

Our room was tiny at 14 sq metres, but much use of the height of the room helped. For sleeping, we had a bunk bed up high and a tatami mat for the other, a wee kitchen and a small but functional bathroom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bunk bed. Everything in this house had been made on site with much care and imagination. A unique place with very hospitable hosts.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 1,103 km (685 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0