Staying in Arashiyama - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2023

Staying in Arashiyama

First let me explain about a Love Hotel. The good is that they are incredibly inexpensive ($48 tax included for this room), super   huge room with amazing amenities, free discreet parking, (our trikes need love too) and full of quirky details and offerings. Love hotels offer the option of a room being rented out from one to three hours which is called Rest or for overnight which is called Stay. Check in time is usually 6 pm or later.

As the name suggests, a love hotel provides couples with a place to have time to themselves. Often in Japan, young couples may live with families and have little personal space. You must be over the age of 18 to stay in one. Some Love Hotels are themed and may come equipped with costumes, etc  available to rent or buy.  There are probably other uses, but “ours is not to reason why”.  What matter to us, a couple facing 70 years of age and tired from cycling all day is that they are quiet (soundproof), inexpensive, comfortable and there is always a space for our trikes. As well, sites like Booking.com include them which makes it possible to find them.

What a massive remote! We had free Netflix and all the major streaming platforms, and of course adult videos. We were able to watch an American series which had been dubbed in Japanese with English subtitles….surreal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is our breakfast that came through the little window. We couldn’t figure out why we got ketchup, but our Skippy peanut butter came in handy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mary Ellen singing the Kyoto Trail Blues on our karaoke machine in our hotel room.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltFunny the hotel room comes with a karaoke machine!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
This 40+sq metre room had it all…a sauna, toilet room, washing room and tub for two with mini tv, a living room, bedroom. So many doors one could get lost if you wanted to.
Heart 3 Comment 0
When you are ready to leave in the morning you dial 9 and say checkout and the garage door opens and you are on your way. The control panel allows you to choose the appropriate mood lighting .
Heart 2 Comment 0
The karaoke machine
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsNo self-respecting love nest should be without one!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sauna, washing room and tub with tv
Heart 3 Comment 0
You sit on the tiny stool and pour a pail filled with warm soapy water over yourself. After you have completely rinsed off you get in the soaker tub.
Heart 2 Comment 0
You get your own personal garage and your love suite is above. The windows have sliding wooden blinds to give complete privacy if desired.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We thought the Christmas tree was a nice touch.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsLooks like a row of suburban townhouses! Quite a far cry (and a BIG step up) from Motel 6 or Super 8 or EconoLodge.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Barry BartlettTrue enough…character plus
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Locations for Love Hotels are often out of the centre of town. This isolated stretch of road had 5 Love Hotels. You can arrive at a hotel, choose your room on a board, pay and the door opens. No need to reserve ahead.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting hotel concept!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
The Alfa looks more grand… $10 more per night.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Here is the rundown of the pricing for this Love Hotel: 1 hr- $26.80, 1-3 hrs- $28.80, overnight Stay- $58.80. I have quoted the price in Canadian $ which is very strong against the ¥. Conversion is easy, just add 2 decimal points. Example: 1,000 ¥ equals $10 Cdn.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Japanese cemeteries seem to be located in neighbourhoods. They are always well cared for.
Heart 2 Comment 0
From the distance we were both muttering…oh no. Yet it was ok. In fact they are upgrading the route and no barriers. It is wonderful to be in a green space with the river alongside.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We think this barrier was there just to mess with us, but no problem we just went around. Today is a new day…onwards and upwards.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The area is lush and well irrigated….we particularly enjoyed seeing the farm fields on the river side of the route.

A big soccer pitch by the route. We just passed a group of seniors playing Ground Golf and kids kicking a soccer ball.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The ride along the river on the bike route was at times breathtaking. The River is always alongside, with small Japanese suburbs on the right, sports fields,  farms and lovely natural settings on the left. We started on the Yoda River out of Osaka, and then when we rejoined the trail (post barriers) alongside the Katsura River.  The place where we crossed last night is where the Yoda breaks in to three rivers. It is a beautiful area with mountains in the distance.

Of the roughly 70 Km of the route, we will be able to ride the final 10. We will ride to its finish in Arashiyama.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small homes alongside the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bliss
Heart 3 Comment 0
The bliss continues
Heart 1 Comment 0

Barry had read about the Matsuo-Taisha Shinto Shrine which is located 1Km before our trail ends. It is beautifully situated at the base of a mountain in Arashiyama and is often overlooked due to the better known sites in Kyoto. When you cross the river, just look for gigantic Tori Gates and they will lead you there. We highly recommend a stop here and it will not disappoint. The quiet tranquility, beautiful setting and extraordinary buildings and its history  make this a special place.   A bonus is that there are no crowds and no fees.

At the entrance we were greeted by this beautiful tree.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We don’t know what it is called ….. any thoughts?
Heart 2 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe saw these all over Portugal. Think they are called "Bottle Brush" trees, at least we called them that. They are bee magnets, so be advised and be careful.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Keith AdamsGoogle's image search says "Callistemon speciosus", or crimson bottlebrush.

"Callistemon rigidus" (https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=282891) is also a close visual match.

It's called a "brush tree" in the translated-to-English Japanese website I found.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/kokokara_kukan_souji/archives/29306099.html
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Barry BartlettKeith, you are really helping us. Today we finished a 100+ Km ride and we are just relaxing. Appreciate your comments and research as always.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
These huge Tori Gates beckon to you from the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Shrine serves gold leaf filled blessed sake during Hatsumode, the first day the Japanese people visit a Shinto or Buddhist shrine in the new year. On this special day, millions of Japanese people visit a shrine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The restorative properties of the spring water bring many local sake and miso companies to the shrine for prayers that their product will be blessed. In return, these companies donate casks of their product to the shrine to be used in their religious ceremonies.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I did not understand the significance of the turtle in Japanese culture until we came to Japan on this trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry is simply too tall…the sign says to watch your head. For Barry, it’s more like…mind your upper body. I am reminded of our host in Aya on Kyushu who genuinely was worried about his comfort…will he hang over the bed? Was he able to fit in the tub?
Heart 2 Comment 0
A small Shrine at the base of the waterfall.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It is said that a noble saw a turtle bathing in the spring waters under the waterfall in 701, this sits below Mount Arashiyama. A shrine was established here as a result. The Matsuo-Taisha shrine is one of the oldest in the Kyoto area.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The waters are known to have special restorative qualities. People come and buy a bottle of this water for personal reasons , or one can simply hold their hands in the water…a spiritual place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
A magical element is the plethora of glass balls with chimes that gently create a musical sound with the breeze.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are both unsure of what or who this creature and his sidekick are. We see them everywhere…shrines, in front of homes, at businesses.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsWikipedia to the rescue!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bake-danuki

"Bake-danuki (化け狸) are a kind of yōkai (supernatural beings) found in the classics and in the folklore and legends of various places in Japan, commonly associated with the Japanese raccoon dog or tanuki."
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The Wooden bridge, Togetsukyo is a landmark in this district of Kyoto for over 400 years. It spans the Katsura River and offers incredible views. The name means, bridge to the moon.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The crowds at this bridge were overwhelming. I stayed with the trikes while Barry strolled across.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Sometimes I can relate to a heron’s love of solitude.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A man fishing on his long boat on the Katsura River.
Heart 4 Comment 1

We decided not to head into the city of Kyoto, and will stay somewhere in Arashiyama. I was brought back to reality when I pointed out a hotel across the river by the bridge and said it is $100…”let’s treat ourselves, it has a great view. Well, I missed a few decimal points and it was $1,000. So you guessed it, we found a Love Hotel down the River.

The bathroom is huge but the best part of the room. I can’t imagine bathing the way I do in Canada with soap and bubble bath or oils in the tub.
Heart 0 Comment 0
To say that the room is a bit odd is an understatement. The brick columns and the weird arch have no functional purpose, just decorative. Nonetheless, it was very comfortable and quiet. We really liked the people who run this hotel.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 1,023 km (635 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesUnless we missed it, which is very possible, we did not see an explanation of what was wrong with Barry's bike. Enquiring minds would really like to know....please put it in the blog.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonFascinating insights into Japanese culture! Thanks again.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Barry BartlettTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWill do.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Barry BartlettTo Suzanne GibsonThanks Suzanne.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago