Ride up to Els Angels: How do we get out of town? - Italy and Spain - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2017

Ride up to Els Angels: How do we get out of town?

Today was our first ride but before we got on the bikes we had a few other things to do. We found La Fabrica for the world's best oatmeal and a cup of tea. Amber from Vancouver is still there and her pro cyclist husband has retired from cycling to pursue a passion for coffee. After breakfast we went to Bike Breaks to obtain a cycle GPS for a ride today and tomorrow. I brought my Garmin but did not load the routes thinking that they would do it for me plus I did not know what rides I wanted. They used to offer this service but after getting a virus in their computer system that cost the shop 25,000€ they no longer offer it. Next on the list was assembling our bikes and sorting out long term parking for our car. By the time we finished everything it was early afternoon and off we went. The biggest challenge was getting out of town and on the route. We circled back several times before getting it right. In the end it was a lovely ride with a 10km climb up through a cork forest in the Gavarres Nature Reserve. The climb averaged about 4% with a few steep bits at 7-8%. On the top we could actually see the coast line of Costa Brava.

The world's best oatmeal for breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A busy breakfast time at La Fabrica.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old and neglected.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike assembly in a nearby park. We were entertaining some of the locals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cork tree on our ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view on the way down from the top of the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral in Girona as seen on our way back into town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike in the elevator, NO.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike up 3 flights of stairs, YES.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where we have been and where we are going.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small march in favour of the Si vote. Note the age of most of the marchers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner and wine just below the cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cathedral at night after dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti found this amazing ice-cream shop so we had to stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ice cream.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 882 km (548 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0