Off to Bologna then on to Spain - Italy and Spain - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2017

Off to Bologna then on to Spain

Heading off to Bologna in the rain a train that we almost missed because I had the wrong time. Nonetheless we made it to Bologna and our hotel that is not even remotely as nice as the Belvedere. Our room was not ready so we wandered about for a while taking in the sites. Once in the room it was bad and when Patti found ants she insisted we move to another hotel. Bologna is the lively, historic capital of the Emilia-Romagna region, in northern Italy. Its Piazza Maggiore is a sprawling plaza lined with arched colonnades, cafes and medieval and Renaissance structures such as City Hall, the Fountain of Neptune and the Basilica di San Petronio. Among the city’s many medieval towers are the Two Towers, leaning Asinelli and Garisenda. After a short nap we wandered the town again and went for dinner at a restaurant recommended by the staff at the Belvedere. We had fresh tagliatelle pasta which is a speciality of the region.
Tagliatelle (Italian pronunciation: [taʎʎaˈtɛlle]) is a traditional type of pasta from Emilia-Romagna and Marche, regions of Italy. Individual pieces of tagliatelle are long, flat ribbons that are similar in shape to fettuccine and are typically about 6.5 mm to 10 mm (0.25 to 0.375 inch) wide. Tagliatelle can be served with a variety of sauces, though the classic is a meat sauce or Bolognese sauce. It is made with eggs and flour. I had to have Bolognese sauce in Bologna.

There was an owl theme to breakfast this morning with these carved apples, cookies, muffins and a cake. Subliminal messaging about TripAdvisor whose symbol is an owl. Marina misses nothing to market her brand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the main square there was a bicycle mobility display in which they had these antique bikes. Old fashioned time trial bikes that look like torture machines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again the square from a different angle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The twin towers of Bologna, the shorter one is leaning. The towers are the symbol for Bologna and were built in the 12-13th centuries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The towers again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The base of the tall tower with a statue of an identified and possibly Papal statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The symbol of the former Jewish ghetto.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure how long this has been here but it has seen better days,
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a jazz festival in town this weekend. This was not exactly jazz but it was fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A local meat and cheese store.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found a market with all sorts if things but especially beautiful flowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our restaurant for tonight where we tasted the fresh tagliatelle pasta.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of inside the restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0