Vittorio Veneto to Treviso - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2022

Vittorio Veneto to Treviso

Today we continued the transition we’d started yesterday when we reached the Veneto flats. We weren’t expecting anything spectacular so weren’t disappointed. 

Before we left, though, we had to have breakfast and in the B&B’s breakfast room were these drawings showing the owners/tenants of each house on the main street of the former Serravalle and the business carried on there, since most houses on the main street had a street-facing business. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our course followed the Munich-Venice route for the most part. Our course deviated from the marked route once and did a descent followed by a climb, so the next time they diverged, we stayed on the MV and it made a descent and climb while our course appeared to stay on a ridge. You can’t win!

Leaving Vittorio Veneto, the Munich-Venice bike route follows this canal for a while.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Near Conegliano, which advertises itself as the capital of Prosecco, we were riding through vineyards again. The difference was that these vineyards were flat inside interspersed with other crops (so I didn’t get any photos). 

After crossing the Piave River, we were on the MV through a rather boring countryside when a fellow cyclist caught up to us at an intersection. He managed to communicate that the other bike route was better and how to get to it. We’d seen it on rwgps snd it was roughly parallel, so why not?

We traded a paved road with some traffic for an unpaved rail trail with no traffic so it was okay. If there had been consistent shade, it would have been great!

The first several km of the rail trail was beside abandoned rails, buckled in places.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were back on asphalt for the last 15 km and riding along fast-flowing and very full irrigation ditches. Quite pleasant, except for the heat (unseasonable, we’ve been told).  We also passed by kiwi farms? fields?  What word do you use for commercial kiwi operations?  They look like very high vineyards but the fruit is all wrong.

Looking back the way we’d come, along the very full ditch.
Heart 2 Comment 0

By the time we got to our accommodation in Treviso I was melting. It had air conditioning (though not the most effective when your room is on the top floor and it’s over 35 outside) but there was also a bathtub for a cool soak. 

We stayed in a B&B on the top floor of this old palazzo. The bikes stayed in the carriageway that led to the garden.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking up at the structure of the stairs—the B&B is on the third floor (counting the European way).
Heart 4 Comment 0

We hibernated in our room until it was cooling off outside and then went for a short explore. Apparently Treviso is the home of Pinarello and I saw a beautiful vintage one (Al thought it looked too new to be real but do they really still make bikes with downtube shifters?  It also had upright handlebars, a chain cover, and a rack with saddlebags. I really wish I’d taken a photo but a fellow who might have been the owner was right there and I was too shy. 

The thing I took a lot of photos of was water, perhaps because it has a cooling effect. 

In Treviso, the condominium “Il Mulinetto”. See below.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lighting wheel. See above.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Treviso
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Treviso
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Treviso. Not sure if she’s riding a Pinarello, but maybe.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Treviso. Nice terrasse, but we didn’t eat here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had pizza and beer in the main piazza. Mine had burrata instead of mozzarella but I wasn’t expecting it to look like this!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Interesting building in the Piazza Duomo (which is mostly used as a parking lot).
Heart 3 Comment 0
I liked the window detailing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There’s a Pinarello!
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Treviso
Heart 2 Comment 0
Detail of the arcade
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Treviso
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Treviso
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 2,167 km (1,346 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0