Treviso to Quarto d’Altino - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2022

Treviso to Quarto d’Altino

Last ride of the tour

Our final ride of the tour was almost entirely on the Girasile cycleway, which follows the Sile River as it meanders its way to the sea.  Peaceful and shady, a nice way to end the riding part of the tour.

Leaving Treviso, the route passes along the outside of the old city wall.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There’s a long elevated boardwalk through an area i would describe as a riverboat graveyard.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Swans have taken over!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Casier had a display of work by members of a local photography club.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Also in Casier: a building oozing character.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Its doorway. The building looks ancient except for the floodlights…
Heart 5 Comment 0
Detail above the door
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith AdamsI wonder what the locals thought, back in 1720 when the building was new? "Oh that's so modern! It's hideous! They sure don't build 'em like they used to..." :) Time certainly has a way of changing our perceptions of what's around us, doesn't it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another detail
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along the Girasile cycleway
Heart 4 Comment 0
There were some giant waterlilies
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Or destination today was the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Quarto d’Altino, where we arrived before noon, even though we’d dawdled along the cycleway.

Bicycles aren’t allowed past the end of the causeway to Venice so I’d spent some time finding a hotel outside but close to Venice that would receive and store our (collapsed) bike cases for up to 8 weeks. The Crowne Plaza Quarto d’Altino was willing to do that and has the additional benefits of having a free airport shuttle and being a modern building with air conditioning. 

The staff and service here have been wonderful. They didn’t have a hose but provided a bucket of water with a little soap and a rag for us to clean our filthy bikes. We did that outside and then moved into the empty meeting room they provided us to use to pack our bikes. 

Bike packing in the meeting room.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonAre these your bike stands?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsThose are nifty bike assembly / work stands!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We appreciated the service here so gave the hotel our business for lunch in the bar and dinner in the restaurant.  Besides, I don’t think there’s much in Quarto d’Altino!  Tomorrow we go to Venice itself for two nights before returning here for one more night before our flight home. 

Heart 1 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyGreat trip, thanks for sharing. Wonderful route through the Dolomites. Impressive cycling !
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 2,191 km (1,361 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0