The long ride home - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2022

The long ride home

No, we didn't ride our bikes but we were sure exhausted by the end!  Warning--this post is a bit of a rant.

One of the amenities offered by the Crowne Plaza is a free shuttle to Marco Polo Airport.  The shuttle operates on a schedule, however, and the one to get us to the airport four hours in advance of our flight, as recommended by Air Canada in an email a couple of days ago, departed the hotel at 7:15.  The breakfast buffet, included in our room price, started at 6:30.  So we ate, brushed our teeth, and ran.

We were at the airport by 8 for a flight that wasn't scheduled to depart until 1 p.m.  And in spite of Air Canada's email, they didn't open the check-in desk until 3 hours before departure.  I suppose we could have checked in online, but I don't think we could have dropped off our baggage any earlier.  Once we'd done that, security and passport control were reasonably quick and we bought some limoncello at the duty free and found our gate.

It was a weird gate, on a different level than the others.  There were a few lounge chairs and we snagged a couple of those and relaxed with our books.  As our boarding time neared and nothing much was happening, we suspected our flight would be late and it was.  Finally the passengers were bussed out to the plane and loaded aboard.  Then we waited some more.  The pilot made a few announcements--the incoming flight had been late, then it had been discovered that one of the toilets was out of order.  It wasn't possible to fix and it was on the same circuit as another so it required a lengthy procedure to disconnect it and restore the circuitry.  Then permission to fly the full airplane with one less toilet had to be obtained from the Canadian Transportation Agency.  When finally the plane was ready to go, we had lost our spot in the departure order and had to wait some more.

Arriving late into Toronto, we had to wait again for a gate to be available.  Of course, we missed our connecting flight--by about 10 minutes since our original itinerary had us hanging out at Pearson for over 4 hours.  We were put on another flight to Vancouver which was also delayed, but in my search for an open washroom without a queue out the door, I noticed that three-quarters of the flights on the departure board were listed as delayed or cancelled.  Those that weren't were actually scheduled for the next day, so plenty of time to become delayed or cancelled.

At YVR, we were shocked to see all the abandoned suitcases, carseats, and other luggage in the baggage area.  The floor surrounding the baggage information counter was covered with unclaimed bags and there were several more near the oversized baggage window.  Luckily for us, our bike cases arrived on the same flight as we did.

All the delays meant that by the time we collected our bike cases, Canada Line would be shut down for the night.  We were very happy when our son volunteered to come and collect us as we didn't really want to ask anyone to come to the airport at midnight.  We finally fell into our own bed after a very long day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Scott AndersonWell, that’s certainly a memorable way to end a tour. It reenforces the idea that longer tours are a better investment. One maddening day isn’t a terrible investment in the context of two amazing months in Italy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonExactly! I love going places but detest air travel. I'm hoping things will have settled down before our next departure.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsSorry your trip home was such a hassle. I've had days like that, and they really suck.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Keith AdamsWe thought it was awful and then heard about all the people whose experiences were so much worse than ours. One thing I plan to do, though, is use my silver Sharpie to write my name and phone number on the outside of my bike case before my next trip.

There was a cardboard bike box just sitting there at the oversize luggage window when we were waiting for ours. There was contact info taped to the outside so I texted a photo to the owner who was happy to hear where his bike was. I'm also going to put an Apple Air Tag or similar inside. I hope things will be better by next year...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mike AylingYou must have been happy to get home at last.
I heard somewhere that the reason for so many local flight delays/cancellations is that the airlines are trying to save fuel by not running half empty planes so cancel every second flight and have a full plane each time and passengers hope that the toilets are working!

Look forward to seeing that striped jersey in your next journal.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Mike AylingThat seems like it might be part of it. Our outbound flights were not full but both legs returning were crammed. A lot of the issues were at airports, though, with so many check-in counters not open and a lack of baggage handlers.

Did you notice that I have two striped jerseys? And they will be coming along to Sicily.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mike AylingTo Jacquie GaudetHi Jacquie

Re two jerseys, I, like most men would not have picked upon that!

Mike
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a nightmare! Glad you made it home okay!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago